An unnaturally quiet Bump Day qualifying Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway confirmed positions for all the remaining nine cars on the 33-car starting grid for the 96th running of the Indy 500 next weekend.
Simona de Silvestro was first out on track in the HVM; the final car to make a qualifying run was Ed Carpenter. The fastest qualifier was Dragon's Sebastien Bourdais, whose lap speed of 223.760mph (2:40.8666s) would have been good enough to take 15th place ahead of the Ganassis of Scott Dixon and Dario franchitti if it had been done on Saturday.
The slowest runner was Jean Alesi in the Lotus Fan Force United car, although with no minimum speed threshold required to make the grid there was little incentive for him to put in anything other than a complete set of four lapped times to clinch the final spot on the grid.
There were no unused or spare T-cars submitted by any teams or drivers, meaning that bumping did not take place. Once all the cars had put in their qualifying times, everyone turned their attention instead to another day of practice running, with Charlie Kimball ending up spinning into the wall early on.
A full session report with driver quotes
is available, as well as full Sunday practice times
Bump Day qualifying times:
25. #7 Sebastien Bourdais Chevrolet 223.760mph
26. #41 Wade Cunningham Honda 223.258mph
27. #22 Oriol Servia Chevrolet 222.393mph
28. #20T Ed Carpenter Chevrolet 222.324mph
29. #14 Mike Conway Honda 222.319mph
30. #6 Katherine Legge Chevrolet 221.624mph
31. #39 Bryan Clauson Honda 214.455mph
32. #78 Simona de Silvestro Lotus 214.393mph
33. #64 Jean Alesi Lotus 210.094mph