For Ryan Hunter-Reay, the wait was worth it: after the 225-lap Milwaukee IndyFest got underway 90 minutes late because of a heavy shower that passed through the area just before the race was scheduled to start, the Andretti Autosport driver didn't put a foot wrong all afternoon once he popped up in the lead soon after midway.
Hunter-Reay - who won here in CART eight years ago in 2004 - patiently bided his time despite starting on the front row of the grid, and didn't lead the race until lap 142. But once he did, he was immovable from the top spot - and went on to lead the remaining 84 laps to the chequered flag ahead of KV Racing's Tony Kanaan and Hunter-Reay's Andretti team mate James Hinchliffe in third.
Early leader Dario Franchitti fell back and ultimately crashed on lap 193 after a suspected suspension failure. Josef Newgarden retired early with fuel pick-up problems, Justin Wilson and JR Hildebrand both had engine failures, Simona de Silvestro spun out on lap 62 and Takuma Sato did likewise on lap 107 collecting James Jakes on his way to the wall as he did so.
A controversial restart penalty for Scott Dixon wrecked the Ganassi driver's early charge and thwarted his hopes of challenging Hunter-Reay at the end.
1. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay Chevrolet 1:52:17.8119s (225 laps)
2. #11 Tony Kanaan Chevrolet + 9.8940s
3. #27 James Hinchcliffe Chevrolet + 10.0782s
4. #22 Oriol Servia Chevrolet + 12.1105s
5. #5 EJ Viso Chevrolet + 5.1029s
6. #3 Helio Castroneves Chevrolet + 7.2715s
7. #98 Alex Tagliani Honda + 13.8178s
8. #20 Ed Carpenter Chevrolet + 14.3764s
9. #38 Graham Rahal Honda + 24.2642s
10. #8 Rubens Barrichello Chevrolet + 12.3440s
11. #9 Scott Dixon Honda + 12.7396s
12. #12 Will Power Chevrolet + 13.3395s
13. #77 Simon Pagenaud Honda + 1 lap
14. #2 Ryan Briscoe Chevrolet + 1 lap
15. #26 Marco Andretti Chevrolet + 1 lap
16. #14 Mike Conway Honda + 1 lap
17. #83 Charlie Kimball Honda + 1 lap
18. #6 Katherine Legge Chevrolet + 5 laps
19. #10 Dario Franchitti Honda on lap 193 Contact
20. #15 Takuma Sato Honda on lap 107 Contact
21. #19 James Jakes Honda on lap 106 Contact
22. #4 JR Hildebrand Chevrolet on lap 105 Mechanical
23. #18 Justin Wilson Honda on lap 93 Mechanical
24. #78 Simona de Silvestro Lotus on lap 62 Contact
25. #67 Josef Newgarden Honda on lap 48 Mechanical