Ryan-Hunter-Reay won his third IZOD IndyCar
Series race in a row with victory on the streets of Toronto, and climbed to the top of the championship standings in the process as misfortunes hit many of the his rival title contenders.
Scott Dixon retired on lap 7 with engine failure, and Will Power led early but was caught out by an early safety car period on lap 24 for Graham Rahal hitting the wall, which came at the worst time possible for his pit stop strategy. Power later damaged his front wing on one of Josef Newgarden's rear wheel guards which in turn led to a puncture, putting him off the lead lap.
Local hero James Hinchcliffe's day ended prematurely in the pits on lap 28 with engine problems. Justin Wilson retired on lap 67 when his engine started cutting out after the #18 slapped the wall out of the final turn 11.
After a remarkably clean race with only the one caution in the first 78 of 85 laps, the race ended messily with two late cautions having a major impact on the final standings: Newgarden stalled after nosing into the tyre barrier in turn 3 on lap 79 while challenging Simon Pagenaud for third place, and a messy restart on lap 83 saw separate incidents at turn 1 (Sebastien Bourdais) and turn 3 (Pagenaud, Dario Franchitti and Ryan Briscoe, among others).
The race subsequently ended under caution.Race results
1. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay Chevrolet 1:33:26.5096s (85 laps)
2. #83 Charlie Kimball Honda + 0.0757s
3. #14 Mike Conway Honda + 0.2848s
4. #11 Tony Kanaan Chevrolet + 1.6672s
5. #22 Oriol Servia Chevrolet + 1.9128s
6. #3 Helio Castroneves Chevrolet + 2.4795s
7. #4 JR Hildebrand Chevrolet + 2.6233s
8. #19 James Jakes Honda + 3.7294s
9. #15 Takuma Sato Honda + 6.5633s
10. #98 Alex Tagliani Honda + 9.9764s
11. #8 Rubens Barrichello Chevrolet + 11.4636s
12. #77 Simon Pagenaud Honda + 43.8734s
13. #67 Josef Newgarden Honda + 1 Lap
14. #7 Sebastien Bourdais Chevrolet + 1 Lap
15. #12 Will Power Chevrolet + 1 Lap
16. #26 Marco Andretti Chevrolet + 1 Lap
17. #10 Dario Franchitti Honda + 1 Lap (Contact)
18. #20 Ed Carpenter Chevrolet + 1 Lap
19. #2 Ryan Briscoe Chevrolet + 2 Laps (Contact)
20. #5 EJ Viso Chevrolet + 4 Laps
21. #18 Justin Wilson Honda + 18 Laps (Contact)
22. #27 James Hinchcliffe Chevrolet + 57 Laps (Mechanical)
23. #38 Graham Rahal Honda + 62 Laps (Contact)
24. #78 Simona De Silvestro Lotus + 76 Laps (Mechanical)
25. #9 Scott Dixon Honda + 78 Laps (Mechanical)
Fastest lap: Josef Newgarden
(105.188 mph) on lap 62* includes 30s post-race penalty for blocking