Le Mans » Third time lucky as Peugeot ends Audi run

Firefly

June 14, 2009 2:23 PM

Truly amazing race, so much drama and so much great racing. Peugeot finally did it, they made a car that's not only blazingly fast (it could've done 3:20s if they really pushed it I reckon) but also finally reliable. Besides the pitstop trouble for #7 at the start and the one really long pitstop for the #8 they hardly ran into any trouble. I was rooting for the 8 car though, those 3 were so fast all race.

Audi just weren't good enough this year, I'm really looking forward to next year with a bit new regulations. Bring it on!

GTone - Unregistered

June 14, 2009 2:29 PM

Audi have been comprehensively beaten this year. If the #7 car didnt have that stupid pitlane collision there's no doubt it' would've been 1-2-3.

The peugeots won the race on sheer speed and pace as they stopped more than anybody else (incl LMP2, GT1 ad GT2) and yet still in front!! I think they're sand bagging in the qualy to give audi a false sense of security which leads to the #1 car doing only double and triple stint while the peugeot doing quadruple stints.

Oliver quesnel must the most wanted man in france right now, first the architect of Loeb success in WRC and now barely a year running Peugeot Sport he manage to bag a 1-2. awesome!

Firefly

June 14, 2009 2:42 PM

As an added comment, I have to give major props for Eurosport's coverage this year, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Though the commentaters in the night around 3 were not really paying attention, they missed the fight between the 1 Audi and the 8 Peugeot completely while talking about insignificant British drivers. I'll forgive them that.

GTone - Unregistered

June 14, 2009 2:57 PM

agreed, i usually find liz halliday a bit annoying but she's actually tolerable this time out. I also like martin haven commenting on eurosport, he's one of the few i think decent/good enough to comment on an entire race by himself, put him in with a partner and he's on fire. Prolly a "murray walker" in the making.

Lemans fan - Unregistered

June 14, 2009 7:10 PM

Congrats to Peugeot nice to finally see them make the top step.
I am gutted a bit that Tom did not make it another win but at the same time I am not a fan of the new AUDI.

Nanbawan - Unregistered

June 14, 2009 8:14 PM

Hip hip hourrah pour Peugeot !!

Nice win, a bit disappointed for the 8, but the 9 worked like clockwork so "c'est la vie !"

Audi finally found a Nemesis, and the lion brand should be thanked for picking up the glove since Ullrich's men have mostly been fighting against themselves in the past.

I sincerely hope that all of this bodes well for the future of Le Mans provided the ACO can find a better set of rules so that other can join the party !

Merci les gars !

Al - Unregistered

June 14, 2009 8:34 PM

Well done to Peuegot, now you'd better put in an entry next year so Audi can sort out the issues with the R15 and kick your butts next time.

Odd how the Audi boys seemed happier with their lot in third than the French squad did in second...

PS, I still won't buy another French car!

GTone - Unregistered

June 15, 2009 12:51 AM

The all french squad were under strict instruction since the 18th hour not to race the lead car. They were pissed as they believe they were quick enough to overtake the Peugeot Sport team. If I were them I would be pissed too if I was instructed not to overtake anything 3/4 way before finish.

Oliver Quesnel did not want to risk anything breaking or having one car torpedoed each other in what could be described their last chance at salvation. In a way I understood why he did that but I also understood why the drivers of the #8 car felt the way they did.

hamsterace - Unregistered

June 15, 2009 10:55 AM

Congratulations to Peugeot - and especially David Brabham. A long overdue first win for one of the world's truly great and versatile sportscar drivers.
Front engined LMP (Panoz), Front Engined GT (Aston DBR9/ Ferrari 550), Rear Engined LMP2 (Acura) or Rear Engined LMP 1 Diesel - he manages to get the best out of all of them.

A truly worthy result for one of the "good" guys....

1 2  »