Le Mans » Peugeot vows to bounce back

Peugeot insists it will battle back from a disappointing end to the Le Mans 24 Hours

Nanbawan - Unregistered

June 14, 2010 11:11 PM

I don't know if it's related but I remember reading a report on road cars poor reliability in a magazine and I was astonished. There were so many "modern" diesels being flagged. French, German, Japanese, TDi, Hdi, TDCi, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the panache Peugeot ! That's how the French like to lose ! :D

And thanks for keeping the challenge alive !

Just Observing - Unregistered

June 15, 2010 12:37 AM

I don't think turbo failure would explain why the first car to retire almost seized solid on the track...

from my experience modifying turbo cars, I'd propose all had holed pistons, and the Pugs were using oil sprayers on the bottom of pistons to keep them cool (not uncommon in European diesel designs in trucks, and VERY effective)... which possibly explains the massive amount of flame

Rick Maverick - Unregistered

June 15, 2010 1:28 PM

No matter the cause - these HDI completed the distance (in victorious style) in 2009. Wonder what the technicians have changed on the 2010 engines. A 4 car line up all failing to finish - a nightmare. Wish Peugeot the more luck in 2011

M - Unregistered

June 16, 2010 11:18 PM

@jack looney

I agree with you about the turbochargers.

I am a big fan of Peugeot road cars. The normally aspirated diesels are bullet proof and last forever, but, the turbocharged versions regularly have problems with the turbos. I know someone who ran a fleet of Peugeots at a well known shipping company and all the turbos went on the turbocharged diesels. The turbos weren't made by Peugeot, they were made by KKK. Maybe Peugeot should make their own.

zebediah - Unregistered

June 17, 2010 12:39 PM

Didn't think that Pug still had any NA diesels in their road car line-up, really.

Anyway, to counter your anectodal evidence, I have a 10 year old 206 HDI with over 250.000km with zero turbo faillures. In fact, the only items replaced so far have been a clutch and a water pump (apart from normal wear parts like brakes, shocks, etc)

M - Unregistered

June 17, 2010 1:07 PM

@zebediah

So, you agree with me to a point, i.e. that Peugeot diesels are bulletproof?

I have a 206 1.9 N/A diesel, so yeah, Peugeot do make N/A diesels.

One of the other good things about Peugeots is that they are great to drive.

jack looney - Unregistered

June 17, 2010 4:00 PM

I know for a fact that both Peugeot and Audi used Honeywell turbo's last year. I have a friend who worked in the turbo. dept. last year and she received a bulletin after the race congradulating themselves that neither teams had any turbo problems. She works in another dept. this year and so far hasn't heard anything.(Honeywell bought out Garrett some time ago....also own Prestone and Fram)
I'm anxious to hear if there were a supplier change this year or did Peugeot make a installation chang.