James Stewart has closed to within five points of AMA Supercross leader Chad Reed after taking his tenth victory of the 2009 season at the inaugural Jacksonville event.
Reed's Rockstar/Makita Suzuki team-mate Mike Alessi got the main event holeshot ahead of the reigning champion, who quickly took the lead. Stewart was soon in close pursuit but it 13 laps for the Yamaha rider to find a way past the Australian.
Reed quickly responded, but Stewart re-passed Reed to confirm a vital victory, whilst Honda's Kevin Windham claimed third.
“I had fun out there tonight,” said Reed. “I tried to be smooth and consistent out there. This was a great race, and we have three more left on the season. It's time for me to get up there and go to battle.”
“It was a great race, and we actually collided over the triple jump, but that's racing,” said Stewart. “I look forward to the next race in Seattle.”
Just one week after clinching the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class championship, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Christophe Pourcel won his fifth main event of the season at the East Lites season finale.
Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Nico Izzi won the holeshot but was quickly removed from the number-one position by Muscle Milk/MDK KTM's Wil Hahn. Pourcel started in sixth, but had moved into second place on lap two.
Waiting patiently, Pourcel pressured Hahn and passed him on lap eight for the lead and rode to yet another race win. Hahn earned the best finish of his season with a second place finish followed by Pourcel's team-mate Austin Stroupe.
“I had a great race tonight,” said Pourcel. “This is a great way to end my championship season. I didn't get the start I wanted but I was able to work my way to
Monster Energy AMA Supercross resumes racing Saturday, April, 18 at Seattle's Qwest Field.
AMA Supercross Class Results, Jacksonville:
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki
3. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
4. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
7. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki
8. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
9. Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Honda
10. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings:
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Suzuki, 315
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 310
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 225
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 193
5. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 193
6. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 193
7. Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Suzuki, 185
8. Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 168
9. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 165
10. Josh Hill, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 146
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Jacksonville:
1. Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, KTM
3. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki
4. Darryn Durham, Wildomar, Texas, Yamaha
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda
6. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
7. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki
8. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Yamaha
9. Matthew Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki
10. Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings:
1. Christophe Pourcel, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 181
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki, 148
3. Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 119
4. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 118
5. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki, 105
6. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, KTM, 105
7. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, 95
8. Matthew Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki, 94
9. Daniel Blair, Modesto, Calif., Honda, 85
10. Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki, 82