Reigning MX1 world champion David Philippaerts won the qualifying race for Sunday's British Motocross Grand Prix at Mallory Park - ahead of Mickael Pichon!
Former double 250cc world champion Pichon, who last raced in an MX1 GP in 2006, has come out of retirement to replace the injured Kevin Strijbos and Marc de Reuver at Martin Honda.
The 33-year-old Frenchman finished 4.6sec behind Philippaerts' Monster Yamaha at the end of the 20-minute race, but faces a tough physical test to replicate his amazing comeback performance in Sunday's two 40-minute motos.
Third placed Josh Coppins was 15secs behind team-mate Philippaerts, with fourth placed Max Nagl (KTM) 20sec from the top and fifth placed Gregory Aranda (Kawasaki) 36sec behind.
The spread-out times were partly due to a first corner pile-up involving world championship leader Antonio Cairoli.
The Yamaha Red Bull De Carli racer collided with Billy Mackenzie and pulled off the heat in pain. The Italian suffered bruising to his left wrist and back, but is due to race tomorrow.
Suzuki's Ken de Dycker also fell in the incident but remounted to finish 15th.
In the MX2 class, world championship leader Marvin Musquin - who has switched from NGS Honda to Red Bull KTM - made an instant impact on his orange debut by winning the qualifying race by five seconds from Davide Guarneri (Yamaha) and Steven Frossard (Kawasaki).
Tomorrow's weather forecast is looking promising with perfect conditions predicted for round seven of the 15-round World Motocross Championship races.
British Grand Prix MX1 Qualifying Race Results:
1. David Philippaerts (ITA, Yamaha), 25:19.118
2. Mickael Pichon (FRA, Honda), +0:04.606
3. Joshua Coppins (NZL, Yamaha), +0:15.130
4. Maximilian Nagl (GER, KTM), +0:20.387
5. Gregory Aranda (FRA, Kawasaki), +0:36.897
6. Clement Desalle (BEL, Honda), +0:37.732
7. Aigar Leok (EST, TM), +0:40.611
8. Gareth Swanepoel (RSA, Kawasaki), +0:43.382
9. Kristian Whatley (GBR, CCM), +0:45.533
10. Carl Nunn (GBR, Suzuki), +0:46.722