BACK TO CRASH.NET
Crash.Net MOTO-X News
Nagl beats stars for Mantova victory
1 January 1901
Germany's Max Nagl beat a strong line-up of MX1 grand prix stars to win the opening pre-season race in Mantova, Italy.
The races, held in the Northern Italian region of Lombardy, were the first of three such events before the GP season gets underway at the beginning of April - and the KTM Sarholz rider put in a winning performance courtesy of 5-1-2 results.
Nagl's results may have been even more impressive had he not crashed in the final lap of the opening moto to slide back to fifth - in a race won by factory KTM rider David Philippaerts - but Nagl bounced back with a dominant win over Tanel Leok and MX2 star Antonio Cairoli in race two.
The third and final moto saw Nagl take the holeshot before losing out to Philippaerts. However it was another factory KTM rider that eventually took the chequered flag first in the form of Jonathan Barragan - but the overall prize went to Max.
New factory Yamaha rider Josh Coppins clinched second overall with 3-7-3 results and was reasonably pleased with his maiden appearance in blue colours. The New Zealander pushed his way back into the top ten in the second race despite running into a fallen Steve Ramon deep into the first corner.
"Second position overall and I'm pretty happy with that," the 29-year-old commented. "The team and I worked a lot and we made a lot of changes. We talked with our suspension supplier Kayaba and each time we made an adjustment there was an improvement so it was encouraging. My starts were good in all three motos, but Steve Ramon crashed in front of me in the second heat and I had to re-start from last but came through to seventh. For my first race with the Yamaha it was not too bad; there is still a long way to go until Valkenswaard."
Third overall went to Barragan, while the opening pre-season race was also satisfying for KTM's MX2 factory riders Tyla Rattray and Tommy Searle, who finished first and second after a bad final race for Cairoli.
Two more pre-season races are scheduled in Valence, France (February 25) and Hawkstone Park, UK (March 4) before the 2007 grand prix season gets underway in Valkenswaard, Netherlands on April 1.
1. NAGL Maximilian GER KTM - 65pts
2. COPPINS Joshua NZL Yamaha - 58pts
3. BARRAGAN Jonathan SPA KTM - 54pts
4. PHILIPPAERTS David ITA KTM - 53pts
5. STRIJBOS Kevin BEL Suzuki - 49pts
6. PICHON Mickael FRA KTM - 42pts
7. DE REUVER Marc NED Yamaha - 39pts
8. BILL Julien SWI Kawasaki - 38pts
9. LEOK Tanel EST Kawasaki - 34 pts
10. RAMON Steve BEL Suzuki - 34pts
1. RATTRAY Tyla RSA KTM - 69pts
2. SEARLE Tommy GBR KTM - 60pts
3. CAIROLI Antonio ITA Yamaha - 54pts
4. MONNI Manuel ITA Yamaha - 51pts
5. TARROUX Jeremy FRA Kawasaki - 45pts
6. SWANEPOEL Gareth RSA Kawasaki - 41pts
7. MARTINI Gianluca ITA KTM - 39pts
8. PELLEGRINI Angelo ITA KTM - 35pts
9. DE BORTOLI Michele ITA KTM - 34pts
10. SIMPSOM Shaun IRL Kawasaki - 32pts
BACK TO CRASH.NET