Ford Field falls to Stewart
26 March 2006
Kawasaki's James Stewart has won his second consecutive Amp'd Mobile AMA Supercross/World Supercross GP race, in front of 40,101 fans at the inaugural race at Ford Field.
Stewart, who now trails AMA points leader Ricky Carmichael by 20 points, grabbed the lead from the $1,500 Progressive Direction Holeshot Award winner Nick Wey two turns into the main event - and then eased away to a comfortable win.
"I got out and ran a good pace, saw those guys coming - congrats to Ricky and Chad," said Stewart. "I got my pace on the first lap and really didn't change anything after that."
As Stewart indicated, four-time AMA Supercross champion Carmichael and former champion Chad Reed - the top two in the current AMA points standings - battled bar-to-bar for the first two-thirds of the race.
Reed held second on the first lap, but Carmichael worked his way up the order, catching the Australian after several laps and stalking him thereafter. After swapping the runner-up position several times, RC finally pulled away to finish the race in second, with Reed third.
"That was definitely a race for the fans," said Carmichael. "I felt like we had the speed to win, but got caught up at the start. That's the way it goes."
As for the title chase, Carmichael now holds a 10-point lead over Reed, but is also wary of Stewart: "I'm not settling in, the points are too close," said Carmichael. "James is obviously riding really well."
"I'm not going to give up," said Reed. "It takes me a few laps to get going, but I've decided I'm going for it. No excuses. I chose to do this and I'm happy to be on the podium again."
In the AMA Supercross Lites class, Honda's Josh Grant got out to a solid start behind holeshot award winner Teddy Maier (Kawasaki) and Bobby Kiniry (Honda). Grant then grabbed the lead midway though the first lap and eventually built a seven-second lead on second place rider Davi Millsaps – the AMA Lites' Easter Region points leader.
"Feels great. A win's a win," said Grant. "I'd struggled in the whoops earlier in the day, so once I figured that out, I was good."
Cruising to second place, Millsaps now carries a 22-point lead over Grant into the final Easter Region race next weekend in Houston. "Josh set a fast pace, didn't want to lose it there," said Millsaps.
Rounding out the AMA Supercross Lites podium in somewhat spectacular fashion was Chris Gosselaar (Kawasaki). The Californian was tied with Grant heading into Detroit (94-94), and had pretty much settled on fourth place when Kiniry went down in the whoops just before the final turn - dashing his hopes for a first-ever podium finish.
Amp'd Mobile AMA Supercross Series Event Results, Detroit:
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Suzuki
3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda
6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
7. Ryan Clark, Waddell, Ariz.
8. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
9. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Honda
10. Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda
Amp'd Mobile AMA Supercross Series Season Standings:
1. Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 259
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 249
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 239
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 194
5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda, 185
6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 181
7. Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Honda, 146
8. Ernesto Fonseca, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 125
9. Mike LaRocco, Corona, Calif., Honda, 108
10. Tim Ferry, Dade City, Fla., Honda, 96
Amp'd Mobile World Supercross GP Season Standings:
1. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Suzuki, 286
2. James Stewart, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 283
3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 267
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 227
5. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Honda, 215
6. Michael Byrne, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 209
7. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio,, Honda, 151
8. Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda, 147
9. Ryan Clark, Waddell, Ariz., Honda, 134
10. Tyler Evans, Corona, Calif., Suzuki, 116
Amp'd Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Event Results, Detroit:
1. Joshua Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda
2. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
3. Christopher Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Much., Honda
6. Robert Kiniry, Lafayette, N.Y., Honda
7. Josh Woods, Flint, Honda
8. Josh Summey, Stanley, N.C., Honda
9. Jay Marmont, Murietta, Calif., KTM
10. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha
Amp'd Mobile Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Season Standings:
1. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 141
2. Joshua Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 119
3. Chris Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Kawasaki, 114
4. Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Yamaha, 96
5. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 80
6. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Honda, 67
7. Robert Kiniry, Lafayette, N.Y., Honda, 66
8. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 59
9. Teddy Maier, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Kawasaki, 48
10. Michael Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Honda, 45