Crash.Net MOTO-X News
Reed wins in the wet
28 January 2008
Monster Energy Kawasaki's Tim Ferry led the field through turn one - winning the $1,500 Progressive Holeshot Award in the process - with Torco Fuels Honda's Kevin Windham on his back wheel. Reed started mid-pack and staged a remarkable comeback.
Windham moved into the lead on the opening lap before being passed by Red Bull Honda's Davi Millsaps on lap four. Reed moved into third place on lap five, then was handed second when Windham crashed. Chad's charge was complete when Millsaps threw away the lead on lap six. Windham finished second and Millsaps third.
"I did make some mistakes out there tonight, and I was able to get a little luck," said Reed. "I am happy to come back after the bad start I had. I am looking forward to racing on a dry track next weekend in Anaheim."
With defending champion James Stewart missing the rest of the season due to knee surgery, Reed is now a clear favourite to win his second AMA Supercross title.
Battling the pouring rain, Yamaha of Troy's Jason Lawrence won the first Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites class race of his career.
Motorsport/Xtreme Kawasaki's Thomas Hahn, of Alvord, Texas won the Holeshot Award to open the Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites class main event with Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Austin Stroupe in tow.
Following close behind through turn one, Lawrence opened a huge lead after passing Stroupe and Lawrence. Lawrence held on for the win followed by Hahn and Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Bret Metcalfe, who finished second and third respectively.
"I am going to revenge myself in Anaheim next weekend," said Lawrence. "I think I should have probably won the first two races there earlier this season, but I made some mistakes."
AMA Supercross Class Results, San Francisco
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
4. Jacob Marsack, Berlin, Mich., Honda
5. Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha
6. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda
7. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM
8. Heath Voss, Mico, Texas, Honda
9. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Honda
10. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 97
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 78
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 57
4. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 54
5. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 53
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 51
7. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 47
8. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 43
9. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 43
10. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 40
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, San Francisco
1. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
2. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
5. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
6. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda
7. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
8. Chris Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Suzuki
9. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha
10. Michael Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Suzuki
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 86
2. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 67
3. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 63
4. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 59
5. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 58
6. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki, 55
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 55
8. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 52
9. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda, 42
10. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha, 42