Crash.Net MOTO-X News
Windham ends Reed's run
17 February 2008
Red Bull Honda's Davi Millsaps took the $1,500 Progressive Holeshot Award with Monster Energy Kawasaki's Tim Ferry in tow through turn one. Points leader Chad Reed went through turn one near the middle of the pack.
Millsaps crashed while leading, allowing Windham to move ahead - and the AMA veteran never looked back. San Manuel Yamaha rider Reed, who had won the previous four rounds, moved into second place on lap 11 but couldn't catch Windham. Ferry finished third.
"I have been working hard this year, and tonight it paid off," said Windham. "I could not have won in front of a better crowd. I put my head down tonight and used the crowd to my advantage. The crowd was on their feet for the entire race."
"This is a tough pill to swallow," said Reed. "I gave it everything I had tonight, but Kevin [Windham] rode a great race. We have had a good season, and we will have to put it together in Atlanta next weekend."
Rockstar Suzuki's Ryan Dungey won the $1,000 Progressive Holeshot Award as he led Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Brett Metcalfe and Yamaha's Jason Lawrence through turn one of the West Region AMA Lites race.
Metcalfe passed Dungey for the lead but was re-passed on the opening lap. Moments after moving into the number-one position, Dungey crashed and fell back several positions and allowed Lawrence to assume the lead. Two laps later Dungey suffered another crash.
On lap five Pro Circuit Kawasaki's Austin Stroupe, who is a rookie this season, moved past Lawrence for the lead and held on for the next 10 laps.
"I finally had a decent start, and that helped me in the beginning of the race," said Stroupe. "I put myself in position to stay up front and that's what I did."
"I am going to the next race, and I plan to do exactly what I did here tonight," declared Lawrence who now has a six-point title lead. "I will be ready for the next race."
AMA Supercross Class Results, Houston
1. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
4. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Calif., Yamaha
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
6. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
7. Charles Summey, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha
8. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
9. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM
10. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 169
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 137
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 119
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 101
5. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 98
6. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 85
7. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 82
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 77
9. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 69
10. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 60
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Houston
1. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
3. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
6. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
7. Robert Kiniry, LaFayette, N.Y., Honda
8. Wil Hanh, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha
9. Michael LaPaglia, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
10. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 135
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 129
3. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 113
4. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 112
5. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki, 101
6. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 95
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 85
8. Robert Kiniry, LaFayette, N.Y., Kawasaki, 71
9. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha, 69
10. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., KTM 62