Stewart completes unbeaten season!
1 September 2008
As the 2008 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Presented by FMF season came to a close, Monster Energy Kawasaki's James Stewart made history by earning a record-tying 12th victory of the season at the inaugural American Motocross Festival.
Stewart thus won all 24 motos this year to become only the second rider in the history of the sport, after former rival Ricky Carmichael, to accomplish a perfect season.
"For me, it was [a relief for the season to be over]," explained Stewart, who led 369 of the 382 laps completed this season. "After the last few [years] I've had in outdoors, I've had a really tough time finishing the season. It was just a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders, especially after coming off the surgery."
Team-mate Tim Ferry finished second overall with a pair of runner-up moto finishes while Factory Yamaha's Broc Hepler earned his first career AMA Motocross Class podium with third overall at his home track.
In AMA Motocross Lites, Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Ryan Dungey cruised to back-to-back moto victories en route to his third overall win of the season.
"To get both moto wins was awesome," said Dungey, who has won three of the last four events. "I almost led every lap too. I haven't really had that [chance] to be out front and it was just a great experience to do that."
Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Nico Izzi posted a career best second overall after finishing fifth and second in the day's motos. GEICO Powersports Honda's Jake Weimer rounded out the overall podium with sixth and third place moto results.
Champion Ryan Villopoto clashed with Izzi in moto one, forcing him to withdraw due to a damaged machine, then finished just 16th in moto two.
Motocross class final standings
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 600
2. Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 414
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Teas., Honda, 392
4. Michael Byrne, Newman, Ga., Suzuki, 377
5. Cody Cooper, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 266
6. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 264
7. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 234
8. Jeff Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Honda, 233
9. Sean Hamblin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 225
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 221
Motocross Lites class final standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 540
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 468
3. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 382
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 321
5. Nico Izzi, Saint Clair, Mich., Suzuki, 292
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., KTM, 228
7. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 198
8. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki, 189
9. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda ,186
10. Trey Canard, Elk City, Okla., Honda, 173