Red Bull Honda's Davi Millsaps jumped out to an early lead as he won the $1,500 Progressive Holeshot Award. Reed followed Millsaps through turn one in second place and moved into the lead a few turns later. Millsaps struck back and held the lead until lap three when Reed secured the number-one position.
But on lap 12, Reed crashed in turn one and Millsaps once again held the number-one position. Reed remounted and chased down Millsaps until lap 16 when he made the pass for the lead and rode off to his fifth win of the season and his fifth win at Qualcomm Stadium.
"I am so happy to get this win," said Reed. "I knew I needed to catch Davi after I fell. I have never won all of the races in California, and with this win tonight, I accomplished a new goal. I get to leave the west coast with a big points lead."
Monster Energy Kawasaki's Tim Ferry staged a late-race comeback and passed Millsaps on lap 13. It was Ferry's best finish of the season so far Millsaps finished third.
In the Western Region AMA Lites race, Yamaha of Troy's Jason Lawrence won his third consecutive Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites class race and advanced into the championship points lead.
Lawrence won his first Progressive Holeshot Award by leading Motorsport/Xtreme Kawasaki's Tommy Hahn through turn one – then led all 15 laps of the main event en route to his first win in San Diego. Hahn finished second and Team Solitaire's Robert Kiniry finished a season-best third place.
"I came into the first turn and had an open track in front of me," said Lawrence. "I am excited to take over the points lead heading into Houston next weekend."
Coming into the race, Rockstar Makita Suzuki's Ryan Dungey was the points leader, but a series of crashes set him back. He finished sixth and is second overall to Lawrence.
Racing takes place at Houston's Reliant Stadium next Saturday, February 16.
AMA Supercross Class Results, San Diego
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
2. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
3. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
6. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Calif., Yamaha
7. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
8. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
9. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM
10. Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 147
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 112
3. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 99
4. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 85
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 85
6. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 70
7. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 69
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 53
9. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 64
10. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 53
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, San Diego
1. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
2. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki
3. Robert Kiniry, LaFayette, N.Y., Honda
4. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
6. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
7. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha
9. Michael LaPaglia, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
10. Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 113
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 111
3. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 96
4. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Kawasaki, 92
5. Austin Stroupe, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki, 88
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 85
7. Dan Reardon, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 80
8. Gavin Gracyk, Blissfield, Ohio, Honda, 62
9. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 59
10. Robert Kiniry, LaFayette, N.Y., Kawasaki, 57
11. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 47