Kawasaki's Travis Preston won the $1,500 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award but it was the Yamaha's of Reed and Josh Hill who took over the top two positions on lap two.
With Reed slowly pulling away, the battle was left to Hill and the Honda's of Davi Millsaps and Kevin Windham. The trio would battle to the finish, with Hill eventually taking second and Millsaps edging out Windham for third.
The win was Reed's fourth at Texas Stadium and 34th AMA Supercross victory of his career. It increases his title lead to 27 points over Windham.
"I feel like I've given a lot of wins away this year so I just wanted to go out here and put in a good ride," said Reed. "I tried to get to the front as quick as possible and let those guys fight it out. This was a track that you had to stay on your toes and watch to not make mistakes."
Honda's Josh Grant grabbed the $1,000 Progressive Direct Holeshot Award to start the 15-lap AMA Supercross Lites main event up front, while Ryan Villopoto gave close chase in second.
Grant held the lead for the first two laps before a bobble handed the lead to a charging Villopoto. Once out front, Villopoto avoided lapped traffic and cruised to victory, his second of the season. Grant was second and KTM's Martin Davalos was third.
Points leader Trey Canard got tangled up in first-lap traffic and dropped to the back of the pack. He quickly remounted and turned in a championship-saving ride en route to a remarkable fourth place finish. He now holds a 16-point lead over Villopoto.
"Josh and I had a good race going there for a while and I think he stalled his bike in the corner there and I got around him," said Villopoto. "[Trey] had a whole race lead on me [in the points coming into this race]. I was hoping for that mistake. He didn't have a very good race tonight and that's what I need. I need some help to get back in this points race. I have try and win, get good starts and try and make that points gap smaller heading into Detroit."
AMA Supercross Class Results, Irving
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
2. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
3. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
4. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
5. Tim Ferry, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
7. Charles Summey, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha
8. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Honda
9. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Honda
10. Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 287
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 260
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 205
4. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 204
5. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 173
6. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 167
7. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 147
8. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 123
9. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Honda, 120
10. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 117
AMA Supercross Lites Class Results, Irving
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda
3. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., KTM
4. Trey Canard, Elk City, Okla., Honda
5. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ken., Yamaha
6. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7. Nico Izzi, Saint Clair., Mich., Suzuki
8. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki
9. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
10. Billy Payne, Simi Valley, Calif., Honda
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Trey Canard, Elk City, Okla., Honda, 111
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 94
3. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., KTM, 73
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 69
5. Nico Izzi, Saint Clair., Mich., Suzuki, 68
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ken., KTM, 67
7. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ken., Yamaha, 61
8. Ben Coisy, Manosque, France, Honda, 53
9. Billy Payne, Simi Valley, Calif., Honda, 53
10. Branden Jesseman, New Brighton, Pa., Kawasaki, 52