MotoGP » 125: Smith leads British one-two in Mugello qualifying.

Chris - Unregistered

May 30, 2009 1:04 PM

I'm almost coming round to the conclusion that Scott Redding is the best single lap rider in the 125s.

shame he doesn't seem to have the racecraft to match his outright speed. (same could be said for Bradley I suppose).

Brian - Unregistered

May 30, 2009 2:28 PM

Chris obviously is not a regular follower of 125. The main reason for Scotts finishes is perhaps he has grown too much, I can see this when trying to tuck behind the fairing. Keep watching Chris you may learn something!!!

Chris - Unregistered

May 30, 2009 2:28 PM

For those that disagreed with me, I've lost count of the number of times Brad and Scott have been bundled into the midfield by the end of lap 2/3. Then they tag onto the back of the lead group and make up a few places when others' tyres go off and finish with a respectable result. They can race but I've not seen them win a race long fairing to fairing scrap like the Europeans can do.

Neither of their wins have come from scraps, both benefitted from other's issues (not taking anything away from either of them, I was at Donny when Scott won and it was a fantastic ride).

Still, I reckon they're both fantastic riders and will truly show their speed when they get their 250cc/Moto2 break!

irn bru

May 30, 2009 2:35 PM

Great Q result for the Brits. Bradders and Scott showing the world the way 'round Mugello. I think Scott will drop back into the latter half of the top 10 during the race, but fingers crossed for a win for Bradley. He's certainly shown he's got the pace. I hope I'm wrong (with my Redding prediction) though. Would love to see both of them going for a win/podium.

Chris - Unregistered

May 30, 2009 2:54 PM

I know nothing of racecraft, not on bikes anyway, but whenever I watch Scott ride, his lines are quite different to a lot of other's.

It's quite interesting, might be the source of his outright speed but sometimes it seems to be that he struggles to get past some riders because he's a bit slower when he gets off his unique line to make a pass.

Good point made about his size. I think he'll be so much better when he moves up into the 250s. Can't wait to be honest, I reckon eventually Scott could be UK's first MotoGP champ since Sheene!

I'll gladly eat my words if they come in 1-2 tomorrow! I'd love it!

Besides, it's supposed to rain so that ruins it for all of us. :(

Ian S - Unregistered

May 30, 2009 3:27 PM

I think that Chris makes some very fair points, especially about Redding's lines. They tend to be a good bit wider and faster than anybody elses, which is great if you have a clear track in front of you. During a typical elbow bashing 125 race though, you need to be able to close doors on other riders and take their lines from them. I think that is Redding's weakness.

As for him moving to 250s, it doesn't seem likely considering that class is disappearing in a year. I would like to see him on a Moto2 bike though.

FreQ

May 30, 2009 4:33 PM

I think Chris made some good points, he's not bashing Bradley or Scott. If you can't give objective comments, then it means nothing when you heap praise on them.

They've done a great job today and if it's dry, I hope they can fight for the win. It would be great to see them win a battle instead of scampering off, although dissapearing is any riders objective if they can do it!

1 2  »