MotoGP » 1000cc to open MotoGP door for Brits?

"If they limit the 1000cc electronics, Superbike will be a great path to MotoGP and we'll see some Brits back here" - Nicky Hayden.

Hookem

July 09, 2010 6:36 PM

No worries guys. 2012 will see the return of 990's. Aprilia more than likely will field a team in 2012.

Things are looking good for riders from all over the world. Look no further than the 40+ riders in Moto2.

I fully expect 25+ teams in MotoGP for 2012. I know if I were Moto2 racing and had a chance to run a production 1000cc motor in a aftermarket frame that I actually was mine MotoGP would be where my duckies would go.

I remember a post by RawDawg where he torched Aprilia for ruining the 250 GP class. Well the Manufacturers Association has done the same thing in MotoGP.

MotoGP will soon be back in the hands of racers and none too soon in my opinion.

RawDawg

July 09, 2010 6:37 PM

well busgy

wr86 pretty much summed it up in a nut shell - it was the AMA. The AMA has produced more WSBK titles and Champions than anyother and produced more GP champions in the last 30 years than any other series.

"If Americans only get to the top level by winning then how do you account for KR Jnr, Kurtis Roberts, and John Hopkins?"

KRJR was runner up to Colin in the AMA 250cc class and worked his way up through 250cc and won the title - enough said. Kurtis rode a bike no one wanted to in MotoGP but he was still was a 3-time AMA champion (2 FX and supersport). Hopkins won 2 AMA titles (Superstock and FX) before he was sign with Red Bull Yamaha.

RawDawg

July 09, 2010 6:37 PM

"Roger Hayden and Jamie Hacking both got wild card rides recently - what did they ever win?"

Roger is a AMA supersport champ and Jamie Hacking is a 3-time AMA Champion (2 Supersport and 1 superstock). Hacking DID NOT wildcard - he was sub riding for a hurt Hopper. But both were factory Kawaski pilots at their home track.

"Look at Stoner and Kallio's road to the top class compared with Spies, Hayden and Edwards."

This is perplexing. What is there to compare? Spies was a 3-time AMA superbike champ who won WSBK in spectaculare fashion his 1st year, Edwards was a AMA 250cc champion than won 2 WSBK titles, and Nicky was a 2-time AMA champion and the youngest AMA superbike champion ever.

So what are we looking at exactly? Did Stoner's and Kallio's resume look anything like this?

Ringo Reeves - Unregistered

July 09, 2010 6:48 PM

I think a few people are having a go at Dawg here, as I have in the past. But Hayden, Edwards and Spies are, or have been worth their rides. Colin is maybe the exception now. If we are to start producing GP riders again, we need to make a positive move to change the structure of our championship, just as when the BSB came on the scene. The country should run a Moto 2 class as part of BSB with races of GP distance. The races should be run on circuits over two miles in length. Another way to give more experience to the riders would be to join the Moto 2 with the Spanish championship, which only has seven rounds, but they are on GP type circuits. Somehow we have to make a positive move forward. Stuart Higgs will probably not agree with this because he will see money disappearing out of his pocket.
I'm not bothered about that though it's the spot that I'm concerned about.

aeolus

July 09, 2010 6:50 PM

The worlds a different place now. When CE and NH depart MotoGP which hould not be too long from now, that will leave only Spies. Rodger Hayden riding at the back of the field is the only American in WSBK. There are none in Moto2 and the 125 class. AMA I haven't followed closely but it doesn't seem there are any prospects for future World series. Between the economy and the DMG road racing is pretty mush dead. Doesn't look promising. Of course CE and NH could go to WSBK as the older riders are doing well there now.

RawDawg

July 09, 2010 7:05 PM

"AMA I haven't followed closely but it doesn't seem there are any prospects for future World series. Doesn't look promising. "

You haven't been paying attention.

The fast young guys in the AMA are in the Daytona Sportbike class. Herrin, Eslick, and Aquino are blinding. Cardenas is amazing but he's Colombian. If I'm not mistaken either Herrin or Aquino were trying to line a Moto2 ride last year but it fell through.

Jacob Gagne is in the Red Bull Rookies cup. He's currently 4th and won a round in Assen.

People said there would be no one after Nicky and now are saying the same thing. I doubt if comes to fruition this time either.

matty - Unregistered

July 09, 2010 7:11 PM

to the person who said that rossi was within a few seconds of the superbike pole on the r1, and this is somehow trying to say that wsbk riders arnt good enougth,what do you expect a seven time world champion,possibly the best ever bike racer. of course hes going to be close,if not faster.that does not mean sbk riders cant cut it in gp.come on the brits :rolleyes: :p :)

FooAtari .

July 09, 2010 7:21 PM

@RawDawg
"The manufacturers have proven time and again that they could careless about the entertainment factor in MotoGP"

Sorry can't let this go. It's COULDN'T care less.
By saying 'could care less' you imply that they could care less than they already do. It just doesn't make any sense.

If someone doesn't care at all about something, and shows this by saying "I could care less", it makes no sense as they are literally saying, yes I dislike this, but I could dislike it even more. If you really don't care about something then it's "I couldn't care less" meaning I can't care less than I already do. See :)

See-
youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk

aeolus

July 09, 2010 7:23 PM

Kenny Noyes is in Moto2. Glad to here Gagne is doing well. Kenny Robers was supposed to have a Moto2 team but it seems to have fell thru. There were some good prospects in the Red Bull rookie cup here but KTM pulled out. Wonder what happened to them.

aeolus

July 09, 2010 8:19 PM

@ Ringo Reeves

There's going to be a lot of Moto2 riders chasing a very few seat in GP . And getting experience on the tracks is very important and Dorn's Moto2 is crowded now. No, I think we'e seen our last Angelo-American WC. Spies might make it, but I'm not to sure of that.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »