MotoGP » Elias targets MotoGP regardless of Moto2 title

The former MotoGP race winner is determined to get back into the top flight in 2011, even if he doesn't win the 2010 Moto2 title.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Sweeble - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 10:24 AM

If I were a MotoGP team manager, I would want to dip into the pool of exciting talent available in WSBK and Moto2 (Iannone, Tomizawa, Crutchlow, Cluzel, Simon, Eugene Laverty, Leon Haslam) rather than rehiring a known quantity. Don't get me wrong, I think Toni is a pretty hot rider, but maybe some of the others would be even better!

markymark1

July 13, 2010 12:05 PM

I think he had a good shot in MotoGP & turned in some really good rides - rostrums on Ducatis & Hondas (sat & works) as well as a win! but as was said above, any team manager worth his job should be looking at new blood for the series.
I don't know about SBK - Toni could pick up 2/3 world championships in Moto2 over the next couple of years. Then kick back & spend is money.

Stevo - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 12:12 PM

Elias had his chance in motogp, he should have gone to WSBk but didn't have the balls to mix it with the big boys, and opted to join the teenagers and rising stars of moto2.
Motogp regularly employs riders with sponsorship money or tried and trusted experienced riders when what we need is fresh new talent. In fact Rossi's bike should have gone to a moto2 guy like Iannone, Simone or Tomizawa, what we don't need is the likes of Elias or DeAngelis returning.

Matt - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 12:33 PM

Danis mum - I don't know if it's 100 percent about money, but at least partially is in my opinion. He has an interview in the current GPWeek online magazine (search for it, it's a good mag). In it he says he gets paid a lot less in Moto2 and not just by the team. The sponsors pay less as well because it's not the premier class. So basically even if he's just an also ran in MotoGP he'd be getting a lot more money than he's capable of earning in Moto2.

Plaggie - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 12:37 PM

For Spanish riders MotoGP is the only thing what counts!! unfortunately.....it would be a big shame if he choses for Suzuki in stead of Moto2, were he is very succesfull. I don't see Moto2 as a downgrade. It's much tougher than 250cc and also for Toni a complete new class. Fourstroke experience doesn't even count as it seems that especially the 125cc riders go well.

But on the other hand, if he has the chance to sign for Tech3 Yamaha (which I believe is by far the best sattelite package) I would say DO IT!! But please don't sign for a chanceless project.....just to be in MotoGP

Matt - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 12:39 PM

Also, I don't see a problem with Elias or De Angelis returning to MotoGP. De Puniet has shown that if given a decent bike he is capable of running towards the front. A year or two ago everyone was calling for his head, saying he should get kicked out of MotoGP.

Well I believe it's the same with Elias and De Angelis. Given a good bike they will perform well. And no matter what some of the paddock folks say, I think there is a big disparity between the factory bikes and some of the sat bikes.

aeolus

July 13, 2010 12:52 PM

I first thought that is was unfair to ride in what is a feeder class but I guess it gives the younger riders a chance to gauge themselves against a really experienced rider. Last year he finished 7th behind Dovi so he has the goods.

1 2 3  »