MotoGP » Facts and figures from first year of Moto2

Eight different riders have won Moto2 races during 2010, compared with four in MotoGP and just three in 125cc...

Muggsly

November 04, 2010 12:35 PM

I would say from a race fan stand point I would say that moto2 was a resounding success. The racing has always been close and fun to watch this year. I do sometimes the miss the sound of the old 250s but I think Moto2 was a worthy successor. It still remains to be seen how well moto2 does as the feeder to motogp but I look forward to next year.

My only concern is knowing who is who on all those bikes as I get older remembering 40 new names is next to impossible.

sixtenths - Unregistered

November 04, 2010 12:56 PM

Likewise, what great racing we have seen.

As a feeder to MOTOGP, MOTO2 bikes lack power, that Honda lump is only 120 BHP ...ish

A standard 1000cc engine, currently around 170 or 180 BHP, in prototype chassis could be cheap and be a far better step then 120 to 220.

All MOTOGP needs is the end to all the rubbish PlayStation electronics, real men with 220 BHP actually connected to a throttle cable.

Dannyboy

November 04, 2010 3:45 PM

All in all, its been fun to watch, better then the 250's? mmmm, not sure. Last years 250 season was awsome to watch so moto2 had its work cut out to improve on 250's.
That being said, I think moto2 would be great if they allowed other engine manufacturers, but put a cap on cc, torque and horse power. No factory support, just sealed engines sold to private teams.
At this point, world super sport is way better. In my opinion.

Gambalunga - Unregistered

November 04, 2010 4:31 PM

The racing has often been good but the same was true of the Virgin Yamaha R6 Cup in the UK and other one make series. It's not Grand Prix racing. Shopping Bike Cup I'm afraid.

fan - Unregistered

November 04, 2010 4:39 PM

@ sixtenths

I cannot agree with you on this.

The 250's were pumping out 90-120? The 500's were hitting around 180-190 amd the 990's were 240 (claimed).

The only thing Moto 2 needs to do is increase the HP to around 140 and have a better control tire.

With the change to the 1000CC format in GP the 600 Moto 2 is a logical option.

If you limit the MotoGP class it will get surpassed by WBSK, which then turns it into "what's the point?"

Westminister - Unregistered

November 04, 2010 4:44 PM

Next years battle will be, Sofouglu, Iannone, Simon and DeAngelis for the Title. If he can stay on the bike like he has the past few races, the title will go to DeAngelis. Otherwise Sofouglu might just get another one.

1 2  »