MotoGP » ‘Factory’ life awaits top rookie Ben Spies

Twelve months on from making his Yamaha MotoGP debut, Ben Spies can now look forward to joining the factory team ahead of the 2011 season.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

November 08, 2010 12:56 PM

I don't think it is realistic to be expecting him to be challenging Lorenzo next year - at least not regularly.

I would like to see how he progresses - so far it has been mighty impressive, but will he continue to improve at the same rate - will he start to get regular podiums or will that only be when the Aliens have a problem.

How will Simoncelli improve next season? After a slow start will his rate of progress outstrip Bens?

How will Stoner do on the Honda? (top Honda I suspect)

How quickly will Rossi gel with the Ducati?

Much to look foward to - congrats and thanks to all the riders for this season!

Oli - Unregistered

November 08, 2010 1:04 PM

Spies was awesome this year...but many a rookie has come in and looked like a real prospect, then never stepped up.

That final jump, to challenge the likes of Lorenzo, Stoner & Rossi is the hardest.

Remember Pedrosa had a great rookie year (aside from wiping out his teammate and nearly costing him the title) and has had the might of HRC backing him ever since - but he has never gone into the final 4 races of the season and still been in the hunt for the title.

Big up Spies. Impressive debut season. But the hardest part is yet to come. I watch with interest.

Oli

chilla - Unregistered

November 08, 2010 1:14 PM

Lorenzo afraid? LMAO. I thik iot s Ben who s got the pressure. Jorge is yopunger meaner and faster than anyone he s ever raced. %th wont make your emopliyer happy anymore.

Darkwaknight

November 08, 2010 1:26 PM

I need to be carefull what I say as the likes of Drifter and Dray et al will jump me as a Spies hater!!! BUT that said Jorge will not have a thought about Ben, he has beaten the best and Ben will be a lesser teammate than the one who has just left!! Ben has been great and is a great talent but now it gets tough, He and his fans want him on equal machinery and now he has it but as they say be carefull what you wish for. He may do it! He may not! I do not know either way as does anybody else but I am sure this thread will be filled with Hate for my comment and statements of "You wait Ben will own Jorge!" OR "Ben will be WC in 2011".

Lets just wait and see testing starts tommorrow so Ben will need to be top 2 at least as he is pretty much in the same team just a better bike!! ... Wait here is comes....

straightalkin - Unregistered

November 08, 2010 1:31 PM

It'll take a lot more than a factory bike to bridge the performance gap to Lorenzo. And Stoner, Rossi and Pedrosa when they're not hurt still look way stronger. I see more podiums for him next year but I can't see him getting anywhere near the title.

Front runner! - Unregistered

November 08, 2010 1:43 PM

Spies will be quick and soon will be challenging Lorenzo,

.....................if, the garage wall comes down and he has access to Lorenzo's data. I see this as a necessitity not just for him but for his crew also.

With proper set up and good pit crew he will be at the front on a regular basis. I don't think he will bomb out, but then you never know.

Might be another Dovizioso.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  »