MotoGP » MotoGP close finishes - Part 1: The top 10

The top 10 closest MotoGP races.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Southerner

December 20, 2010 4:28 PM

1050cc,sorry I'm late. Actually,no,I don't hate Valentino Rossi.Never met him, but was at Phakisa Freeway,Welkom 2004 and had a pile of money on him winning. So,how can I hate a good pay day ?
What eats at my craw is the manipulation,the silver spoon birth into the game.The best kit always,the compromise always in his favour.That makes me dislike the Rossi institution viz a viz GP immensely.
I never disputed his ability nor his application.
I sure do love it when he gets a fair whipping from an underdog.For sure,I hope he gets thrashed 2011 and avoids injury all season long. 'Has been' he certainly isn't,but the chickens are comming home to roost.

1050cc - Unregistered

December 19, 2010 12:56 AM

Southerner, as a guy that hates Rossi, I can see why you would thrive on Valencia 2006, and you have every right to do so.

It was the first time Rossi cracked under pressure. He should have won that year but crashed and showed he is just another racer. Is that all he is? In your mind yes, in many other people's minds no. The greatest in the modern era showed he is human. He failed in 2007 too, for whatever reason. Many reckoned he was finished. But he won 2008 and 2009.

In 2010 he got beat again. In 2011 he is already a "has been", like many years before. I don't think he will win in the first half of the season. But the 2nd half? Bet against him if you wish. many will not...

wing chun - Unregistered

December 18, 2010 8:27 PM

Indeed Rossi will be missed when he retires because the current breed of Aliens is all about scattering into the distance, kind of like watching time trials and hate to get into any scuffle. Too bad the breed of the rossis and haydens is almost done.

Southerner

December 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Last corner,narrow margin finish is great.Laguna 2008 was a cliffhanger,but fizzled and died a natural death with 11 or so to go.I think 3rd was about 30 seconds back from Rossi.Stoner,5 or so back in second.
Now,for me,a high speed game of chess like Phillip Island,Rossi/Gibernau many years back.Stoner/Rossi at the same venue 2009.Those were classics.All to play for, Valencia 2006, whilst shuffling the poker deck.
Actually,Valencia 2006 was the greatest ever.Not in terms of the race itself,but in terms of 'check mate'.

1050cc - Unregistered

December 18, 2010 3:11 AM

Most edge of the seat race in the modern era? Sachsenring 2006! Rossi, Pedrosa, Hayden and Melandri. Up to the last few corners could have been anyone's race...

Hayden Vs. Edwards at Assen 2006? EVERYONE (apart from the odd Hayden fan) wanted Edwards to win that one, finally, as he had never won one before and he rode brilliantly. He blew it. Black mark for Colin that day as he went on to slag Hayden off saying how he couldn't lead a race etc. 1st time we saw the dark side of Edwards before his multiple media rants against Toseland.

Uncle Vito - Unregistered

December 18, 2010 12:40 AM

Estoril '06 was the most exciting race I've seen in so many ways. I would have been surprised if anything else made #1.

People are right, Assen '06 deserves an honorable mention. Laguna Seca '08 (Rossi v. Stoner) was also a great, close race that ended with a big gap between 1st and 2nd.

perplexed - Unregistered

December 18, 2010 12:38 AM

"I have seen a lot more pleasant, intelligent and relevant posts than the one above deleted". Crash why did you need to be told that a post is inappropriate? I am struggling to find consistency here.

Brian C. - Unregistered

December 17, 2010 10:48 PM

"Hayden/Edwards,Assen 2006 anyone ? A thousand what ifs for a thousand races."

Yep, Edwards thought he could "bully" himself into his first (and never) MotoGP win. Unfortunately for Edwards, he doesn't know how to maintain composure and crashed on the last corner.

To the Victor goes the spoils. To the dork goes the LOSS. Hah! Can't stand Edwards and his goofy personality and distain for people with far more talent than he has.

GO HAYDEN!

TedG

December 17, 2010 9:58 PM

When I look at the article and the comments, especially about what MotoGP will be like without Rossi I have this to say.
Lorenzo and Stoner the 2 fastest guys out there are what I call very sanitary riders. They know how to qualify well and get outstanding starts and when they do they just run away. That to me is not all that entertaining. Rossi on the other hand seldom gets a good start and his qualifying is spotty as well. BUT and a big BUT he often finds himself way in back and has to dissect the pack to work his way back up. Or he will find just how fast he has to go to just barely keep ahead and conserve his tires. Then someone may pass him and he just steps it up and observes till the last moment and then makes a move, partly to find what he has to do and mostly to create a battle. Listen to his interviews, win or lose if he had a good battle he is as happy as he could be. Where Lorenzo and Stoner just want to blitz away. I like the battles, they are far more entertaining.

1 2 3 4  »