MotoGP » 'Happy' Crutchlow overcomes adversity at Sepang

"Sometimes I'll ride it properly and other times I go back to my old ways" - Cal Crutchlow.

Jon

February 07, 2011 2:25 PM

Poor Cal, he is going to have a tough 2011.
Barring exceptiona circumstances he'll have
3 Repsol Honda
2 works Yamaha
2 Factory Ducati
& at least 1 Gresini Honda ahead of him each race.

Think it's going to be hard for him (and the public) to accept that making the top ten is in fact a major accomplishment.

RawDawg

February 07, 2011 2:27 PM

At least he's not on a 3 yr plan on a 2 yr contract! LOL!

It seems that Cal is on the right path. From reading this it seems he knows that he has to adapt his style to the bike and not the bike to his style. Numerous WSBK riders turn MotoGP pilots were unwilling or unable to do this. He needs to sort this out first and the speed will come.

hoppy

February 07, 2011 2:33 PM

Agree Rawdawg,he admits that he is making mistakes and will need to adjust his style to suit the bike.Honest account from Cal.It is early days yet and noone is expecting miracles from him,not even Cal himself!
Lets see how he goes as the season progresses before making our opinions up about him as so many have on here already!

nebar1

February 07, 2011 2:58 PM

As an Englishman I'm happy with Cal's efforts so far. I'm happy with the comments above too.
How long will it be before people come on here using words like arrogant, big headed etc. Give the bloke a chance. He is great to watch when he is on his game.

mkindy - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 3:25 PM

Does anyone know what Cal meant when he made the following comment: "The bike didn't feel like my bike and the front was really high from mid-corner."

The front being high is not a term I have come across before and wondered what he meant by it? My guess was as the shokes unloaded after mid corner they were coming back to high not allowing him to push the front on exit of the corner..but that is a complete guess and could be way of the mark...

cheers my dears :-)

mkindy

Don-R

February 07, 2011 3:26 PM

Both rookies did well. You have to look at last year's times for a perspective:

Excepting the phenomenal Spies, this year's rookies are quite a bit closer to the front than last year's. Simoncelli for example was only able to post a 2min 3.2 this time last year. That's a full half second slower than Crutchlow's time. And look where Sic is now. The point being that this is only a first test, and that a lot can happen over a season.

Let's see how they fare in 2 weeks' time when Crutchlow's shoulder will be better healed and track knowledge won't be such a factor.

RawDawg

February 07, 2011 3:47 PM

"For him a cracking result will be 9th place, and even 12th (assuming everyone finishes) will be a good result."

I would think so. I've said that Cal would be lucky to finish the title in the top 10 and even if he did he probably would be no better than 8th (which I don't think he will). To finish 8th he would have to beat 2 factory bikes (including Simoncelli's bike and the Suzuki it's 9 factory bikes) along with other strong satellite contenders like Aoyama, RDP, and Colin.

Don-R

February 07, 2011 3:49 PM

@ mkindy

I think that analysis is correct.

Fron another interview: "the front is too high and with no weight on the front there's no grip...I'm running wide on the throttle."

triplestrumpet - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 4:14 PM

Good interview. It sounds at least like he knows where he needs to focus his learning.

My concern for Cal would be setup experience. I think he's only raced on production based machines before so chassis adjustement and electronics are gonna be a challenge. It took him a long time last year to get that R1 dialled in.

qweezy - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 5:02 PM

This is all good to hear. CC is defo looking at things the right way when he understands 2011 is a 'learning' year. Not putting too much pressure on himself, but understanding there is work to do. I think people would of been much kinder to JT in his MotoGP days if he didnt expect consistent top 6 finishes in the 1st and podiums in 2nd year.

Although Cal wont have much experience in setup, he is young enough to learn what he needs. JT came to MotoGP too late and was too 'set up' for WSBK imo. Cal has shown he is fast, but hasnt stayed with superbikes long enough to get too set in his ways.

Looking like a great 2011 in bike racing though!

1 2 3 4 5 6  »