MotoGP » Pressure increases on Australian GP date change

The Australian Grand Prix could be moved from Phillip Island, or scrapped altogether, if a solution to a proposed date change is not found.

Southerner

February 15, 2011 2:53 PM

Agree pp916.My picks are PI,Aragon and Mugello as THE tracks in GP.Weather...so what? I don't hear Dorna mouthing off about Estoril last year.Who can forget the 125 race ?
Predicting weather at any venue a year in advance is crazy.We know trends in the South, but predicting one weekend 10 months down the track is as ludicrous as predicting another earthquake in Tuscanny anytime soon.You know,Mugello territory.Can't see Dorna moving that venue just because the area is geologically unstable.The riders safety commission wouldn't hear of it.HA.

vonich

February 15, 2011 2:59 PM

pp916.. i don't think dorna is trying to leave PI out in cold for next year calendar. I don't know how much crowd PI could draw every year compare to european tracks. But PI its riders favorite track so I don't see it being left out of the calendar... to be honest I rather dorna drop Indy (although indy is closer to NY where I could drive and see the race than laguna seca)and replace it with new tract in Austin Texas as I heard a lot of good things about it. Plus the track layout looks good, go to aspahlt and rubber and see the track layout. IMO its going to be an awesome venue which means a lot of crowd just like Aragon last year.

RawDawg

February 15, 2011 3:38 PM

I'm not buying what Ezpeleta is selling.

The PI race has what the article says a "traditional October slot" - that means it's been held that month for years. And now all of a sudden it's a problem? One wet race and they are trying to move it? They didn't move Indy at a disastrous hurricane did they?

PI is on the coast - there will always be a chance of rain, there will be high winds, sea gulls, and sand on the track. Stoner says there are only a few people complaining about the weather in an article on MCN and that in March the weather can be just as bad. The WSBK boys deal with the elements there too and they have an earlier date.

Jase_AUS - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 4:02 PM

First all, let me say that I wouldn't go camping at the PI GP without taking my gumboots! In Spring, there's always a 50/50 chance of rain at the island. From a spectators point of view, I've resorted to saving my hard earned and now watch from the comfort of my lounge. I've spent too many days on the fence at Siberia getting lashed with wind and rain. For once, Dorna may have a point. There's more than just race day to a MotoGp race, and I reckon that we've had more than our fair share of wet days during practice as well. Having said all that, when PI turns on the weather, there is no better place to be!

collieman - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 4:07 PM

I personally think that whatever the arguments whether the weather is good or bad.The main thing is surely riders safety.We have seen many highsiders from cold tyres and the injuries that they cause.I don't believe that Phillip Island is the best circuit on the calender,there are plenty of then in other countries.Why doesn't Dorna make the owners of PI build a new venue with modern facilities like F1 do,or drop PI all together.They have done it before when track conditions haven't been acceptable.

UPS - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 4:38 PM

While it can rain cats and dogs virtually anywhere, and does, even in the deserts of Qatar, the concern about Phillip Island is over the temperature, not the rain. When you have a regulation set of tyres, it's a problem, (for problem, read also extra expense during a recession), having to manufacture special cold range tyres for one event.

gg_hh - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 5:47 PM

How many times has it rained "on race day" at PI in the last 10 years? I'd be willing to bet it's not anymore than anywhere else. Still, I get it. It makes the most sense to move THE BEST EVENT the facility hosts to an earlier date. It's just smart.

bender - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 7:24 PM

Its not just the rain its the air temp. It was freezing in 2010, spring is wet and cold here, they have just got lucky in previous years. Autumn is drier and warmer by far. It is the riders pushing for this as much as Dorna, Stoner is obviously going to support his home race, so your not going to get any sense from him. Move it, and bXllox to the PI owners, if they re-invested more than the bare minimum I would have some sympathy - great track, sh1te facilities.

Men or mice! - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 7:28 PM

So what do Dorna want?Every race held in 70 degree temperature under a cloudless blue sky and on a bone dry track?
How boring would that be?I for one like to see the odd cold wet race,it throws a spanner in the works that can alter the outcome of the whole championship! What do you think wet weather tyres were invented for?
Get a grip ffs!

Charlie Davey - Unregistered

February 15, 2011 7:50 PM

Have travelled over to PI from New Zealand for 4 of the last 5 races. It will be a crime if we loose the only race we get here in the pacfic. Have to admit the conditions in 2010 were very very cold so much so that the longer haul to Laguna Seca has appeal. Moving it to March would be great. Its probaly going to be a money thing. Compared to the European attendences PI doesnt cut it race day is around 45K which is paultry compared to Europe. There again the quality of support from both Australia and New Zealand is second to none.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »