MotoGP » Pressure increases on Australian GP date change

The Australian Grand Prix could be moved from Phillip Island, or scrapped altogether, if a solution to a proposed date change is not found.

BoZz

February 16, 2011 8:21 AM

"@BoZz

I'm calling Soft i'm afraid matey. Drove down? Whats that about? Did you take the family or something? The 'Men' head down on 2 wheels!"

Awwww, I've only got 4 wheels (But yes there were a few of us) And i'm soft alright (After last year) i like my T.V with full track coverage, soft squishy chairs and access to the dunny just a coupla steps away.:)

To RSV Mick
I AM Staying home from now on.

Kickstand

February 16, 2011 9:01 AM

Strange that until recently Dorna didnt have a problem with the Phillip Island round being held in October. This can be evidenced by the fact that not long ago they signed a contract with the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) for the Australian round to be held there in October until 2016.

This all changed when Valentino Rossi following last years race demanded of Dorna that the timeslot be changed. Suddenly we have Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta getting on the phone to AGPC threatening that unless the round be moved to March in 2012 then he will have FIM not homologate the Phillip Island circuit.

The question aside as to whether or not the Phillip Island round should be moved to earlier in the year, the arrogant bullyboy behaviour of Carmelo and Dorna stinks to say the least!

GPFan - Unregistered

February 16, 2011 9:08 AM

Ah, the days of the 500 2-strokes, much less technology as in the riding was all down to the riders whether it rained or was cold or the wind blew or all of these elements together.
"Can I have more traction control and please stop making my bike do wheelies" is your modern day riders plea..etc.etc...

Carmelo has made it a Spanish championship with 4GP's in Spain with the attitude Love it or Leave it.

gearbox

February 16, 2011 9:31 AM

Dump the F1,its too costly anyway, run MotoGP in its place.As far as 2nd class facilities,the Fox boys wont pay for anything,thats why he is a rich man! and they know how to charge for a track day there!

Bob Buttamasangy

February 16, 2011 10:03 AM

CRASH, a simple comment reiterated several times by other posters was deleted. Bob thinks you are taking the mick!
Anyway, the condition of the facilities has been much exaggerated by posters who supposedly visited last October. Yeah, wet and cold, but how can you dispute a dry race simply because the local lad is untouchable there?
EDIT by CRASH.NET:
The post was deleted because of your attempt to hijack and turn this into a Stoner thread and accuse another rider of impropriety.

Dr Moo - Unregistered

February 16, 2011 10:34 AM

Behold the politics of distraction...

It might rain? It might be cold? The wind might blow?

Oh, what would the hard-men of racing like Sheene, Lawson and Doohan say about this?

"Harden the F*#K UP" I'd expect.

Bob Buttamasangy

February 16, 2011 10:48 AM

Something else! The atmosphere NOR the races in '89 and '90 were spoiled by the ordinary weather (tents and gear soaked Friday (or was it Thursday?) night in '89, hardly removed helmets all day at Siberia in '90). I knew they were great races when I was there, but when I've watched them again over the years, they are simply two of the best races you will EVER see! And believe me, Bob is no fan of the post career Wayne Gardner! Haha...
Run away races will always get criticised, I didn't hear too many detractors when the Italian looked like he almost had an answer for Stoner back in '08.
Funny that!

G-Banger - Unregistered

February 16, 2011 11:11 AM

Yeh I was there in 90 and it was cold but no big deal as I recall but great racing.Gardner is a full ****** in my book but it was great racing from him back then for sure.Is this post going to be removed now too?
What the hell is going on here?Is Carmelo Ezpeleta sanitizing all things MGP..here as well?

d8oNa675

February 16, 2011 1:05 PM

@iggy
Like many, if not all the racers in the paddock, Rossi has rated Phillip Island as one of his favourite tracks for years. He said that he hadn't been lucky there for a few years but its a stretch to turn that into he doesn't like it anymore.

@ausrossi, hope your talking figuratively about people freezing to death! It ain't that cold there! Aussie winter is like Autumn in Europe at its worst!

Would go for starting the season there as long as WSB went to the back end. I live for my bi-annual rides to the Island. One trip to do both would kill the year, or I wouldn't be able to get the time off for both!

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »