MotoGP » The Repsol Honda MotoGP chassis options

Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovizioso to start the season with 'standard' 2011 chassis. Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa still to decide.

name - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 10:07 AM

Anyone willing to bet this will be Dani's final HRC contract? If he isn't WC this year I reckon his days are numbered. Simoncelli has the killer instinct that he lacks and will be very hungry this year. In some ways Dovi looks to me like the new Dani - Mr. Almost-but-not-quite.
Once HRC bag the title again my money is on a two man team once more.

lod - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 7:48 PM

@ name
"Anyone willing to bet this will be Dani's final HRC contract?"

C'mon dude how many times that has being said already in past few years? Every year the Dani haters come with that sentence.

"Once HRC bag the title again my money is on a two man team once more"

Yes, Honda will win he title this year. And yes, next year Honda will be a two man team again and that will be Dani and Stoner - the two fastest riders in the world. Repsol Honda wants a spanish rider so Dani won't go anywhere. Why on earth would they drop him if no Honda rider has been able to get close to his pace (and results- despite Dani's injuries)?

James - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 8:33 PM

There's more than just fastest lap times, tire degradation plays a major role in races, and the hondas last year didn't excel at that. It's useless to be fast for 10 laps or so and then being swallowed by other riders when tire performance declines. We'll see what happens, but last year the Yamaha was the best overall package, so let's wait and see.

name - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 9:15 PM

@lod
Good to see someone explain why they disagree at least.
I don't hate Dani at all, if anything my respect for him has grown as he has.
As for this being said each year, so what. I'm just expressing my thoughts on the matter, which is why we are all here.
You're probably quite right as far as the repsol thing goes, which is a great shame, like having an also-ran Brit rider each year too.
Perhaps no other Honda rider has matched his pace (WC Nicky?) because Honda have developed the entire package around his tiny stature and Puig's agenda.
Maybe if Spies upsets Jorge enough we'll see Stoner and Lorenzo as teammates, Repsol happy, everybody happy.
No matter how I look at it I just can't see Dani as champion, Repsol bankroll and Spanish over-representation or not.

cyclopathic - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 9:24 PM

@name, RE: Anyone willing to bet this will be Dani's final HRC contract? If he isn't WC this year I reckon his days are numbered.

not happening.. Puig attached Repsol contract to Dani on the team.

name - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 9:49 PM

@cyclo

No getting around that one really. How long can that little dynasty last I wonder?
He still won't be champ though.
If only Cathey Thtonera was Spanish it could be the repsol wet dream team :)

lod - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 11:19 PM

@ name
"Perhaps no other Honda rider has matched his pace (WC Nicky?) because Honda have developed the entire package around his tiny stature"

You sound like a Hayden fan. That was the lame excuse they told over and over. Look, the best riders allways shine no matter what equipment they got. Stoner was fast out of the box on "dani's bike" so if others can't be fast it's because they're not good enough, end of.
Oh and if Hayden's problem was "Dani's bike" then why didn't he get better results on the big Ducati? His problem was not Dani's bike. His problem is that he didn't adapt well to the 800cc. Yes he was closer to Dani in 2006 but keep in mind that was Dani's rookie season on the big 990's and he still got 4 poles against Hayden's only pole in PI. And won as many races as his experienced teammate on a bike that didn't suit his size and wasn't "tailor-made" for him (as Dani's hater puts it). He didn't only win the title on his rookie season because he made lots of mistakes, and stil

lod - Unregistered

March 02, 2011 11:20 PM

cont...

He didn't only win the title on his rookie season because he made lots of mistakes, and still finished just a little more than a race win difference from the top. Consistency won Hayden the title.

name - Unregistered

March 03, 2011 1:22 AM

Not particularly a Hayden fan, but Dani still has one less premier class title than he.
Consistency did win the title for Hayden - consistently being ahead of Dani in points.
As for why Hayden didn't shine on the bigger Duc, same reason everyone else hasn't - he's not Stoner.
Dani has put in creditable performances, no denying that fact.
No denying also that Nicky looked like the jolly green giant on the Pedro machine. Hard to go at 10 10ths when you aren't comfortable on the bike.
We can back and forth all day on this, and your points are well made, but in the end this is just about my opinion of Danis WC chances. You can refute my logic (and I make no claim to it being flawless), but in my opinion Dani won't win the championship. I will applaud him if he does, but I won't be holding my breath.

« 1 2