MotoGP » Crutchlow remains in hospital, will need surgery

"My collarbone is in 3 pieces and I have MRI on neck as the docs think it's broke, but I am fine!" - Cal Crutchlow.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Don-R

June 12, 2011 5:55 PM

Well I'm glad Ben and JL had happier landings today otherwise it could have been collarbones all round at Yamaha. Sounds like a possible neck fracture for Cal too, which could be a trickier fix. Hope he heals up quick.

I see Johnny Rea has also joined the collarbone club today with a small break to his left (and right wrist). What is it with collarbones this year??

Bodz - Unregistered

June 12, 2011 6:44 PM

Collar bone breaks-
in one place
in two places
in three places
its ridiculous to say "joe bloggs is crap because
billy smith returned in one week"

Steve929

June 12, 2011 9:05 PM

@Bodz

This is true.
I hope somebody makes it clear to Cal that what Colin did today should have no bearing on when Cal is ready to race.

I'm thrilled for Colin however I thought it was far too risky to race in the wet after only 1 week recovery - the results show otherwise but it could equally have been a disaster.

I was extremely disappointed with Cal's misfortune this weekend. It would have been great to see him race at home today on a familiar track

Steve929

June 12, 2011 9:09 PM

I believe Cal could have picked-up a few pts today by jogging around the track.

By jogging, or at least quick marching,I believe he may have finished 1 or 2 seconds behind Barbera & De Puniet.

Would have been worth 3 pts.

SD500

June 13, 2011 2:55 AM

What we are seeing revealed is two major problems
1. Small grids
2. No depth to fill rides

Grids too small as sponsors hard to find and riders (well some) getting too much money and dorna not supporting smaller teams. Factories cannot afford to put it all in. Where is the money going? To a profit oriented organization! Fim you are a disgrace!

Where are the fill in riders for machines that have injured maestros? They are off trying to earn a crust, as a good young rider has no test duties with teams as they could not afford it!

How to encourage the factories and team, why not stop changing the rules so drastically.

In any case where is the commission of investigation into the health of the sport by fim?
Fim as I said, you are a disgrace!

daz - Unregistered

June 13, 2011 5:53 AM

hope to see Cal back racing soon,

its a shame that not many users on this site actually give a dam about any other rider other then Rossi v Stoner debate going on in every other topic.
topics on other riders might make 2 pages, but
CS v VR it hits 20+

Sloper

June 13, 2011 8:42 AM

Gutted. Sod's law that it happened this weekend. Amazing that after all the development that Dainese, Alpinestars et al carry out for their suits that no one has come up with a better way of protecting the vulnerable collar bones. Tricky to do without being restrictive or bulky. Airbags seem out of the question. Maybe a sort of cross-shoulder carbon fibre torsion beam or something. Either way, I hope your bones knit quickly Cal.

BenSugden - Unregistered

June 13, 2011 9:37 AM

@Sloper

Airbags are used in MotoGP. Simoncelli and Lorenzo definitely wear them. Dainese make a very good one that can tell when the rider is having a crash and takes 45milliseconds to inflate thanks to the 9000psi gas can hidden in the hump of the suit. Worked wonders for Simoncelli so far, especially when he highsided on the first lap a few races ago.

Not sure if all the riders wear them, but from what I hear, read it's amazing!