MotoGP » Simoncelli: I can't wait for tomorrow

"I am happy and I can't wait for tomorrow to get back on the bike" - Marco Simoncelli.

mick - Unregistered

June 23, 2011 7:01 PM

Cant take this bloke as a serious contender at the moment.We know he is blindingly fast,but everytime the lights go out and the race starts,you cant help but start counting down the laps till he crashes!
I am a bag of nerves just watching the guy!

56degreeslean

June 23, 2011 8:00 PM

everyone has doubts, but lorenzo, stoner and rossi went through their crash fest period trying to find the limit that would win them the world championships. Those who don't crash much because of fear spies, hayden etc are the ones fighting for 5th and below

harr - Unregistered

June 23, 2011 8:15 PM

All true about fast crashers and current front runners having successfully sorted their own crash issues in the past.
But the problem with teaching this guy to stop crashing while still going fast will probably be that he seems to be lacking the necessary amount of braincells to learn anything. He keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and then blames the bike. That way he's not gonna progress to ever become a real threat.

mp5onlv426

June 23, 2011 8:32 PM

I dont feel you can always turn a fast crasher into a fast rider. The point that he keeps going over the limit at critical times after so long on the bike is more of an indicator of Simos development into premier class. Spies had two spills in the wet without contact of anther rider. Simo tends to colide and ride a little radical at times. I think the phrase should be you can make a smooth rider faster but a crasher is just a crap shoot with expensive repair bills. But good luck to all this weekend.

Mr Bojangles - Unregistered

June 23, 2011 8:48 PM

I can say that I am more impressed with Simoncelli this season than many riders, despite the crashes. Despite less GP track and bike experience, Spies managed to out race Simoncelli in their rookie season, so this indicated Spies simply was faster. I still think Spies has better racecraft and composure, but Simoncelli seems to have a fire built inside this year to win that Spies is lacking.

Or it simply could be the Honda is better than the Yamaha this year!?

MrQwerty

June 23, 2011 9:13 PM

@ mr bojangles

In my opinion Spies is the better rider, but the yamaha can't live with the Honda. It shows how good Lorenzo is to be honest. Simoncelli is talented but erratic and I personally don't see him as premier class world championship material simply because there are better riders out there. He has the fire but I think he will always be a bit wild and that will cost him in high pressure moments.

1 2 3  »