MotoGP » Ben Spies bolts to first MotoGP victory at Assen

Ben Spies takes his first ever MotoGP victory, at Assen.

shamarone

June 26, 2011 5:39 AM

re: "Ben Spies is a terrific motorcycle racer, his record of AMA and World Champiponship Superbike wins attests to that. In 2009, on tracks he'd never seen, let alone raced on before, he won 14 races, on a motorcycle he had never raced before the season started, and on tyres he'd never used before."

don't forget all the while making up for DNF's and re-setting the pole position record to 11. all the milestones he accomplished in that single season earns him "rider of the decade" in my book. neither edwards in '02, nor rossi in '04, nor stoner in '07, nor bayliss' comeback from finger loss in '08, matches that in my book. wait, bayliss might be close...? :)

Tax Dodger - Unregistered

June 26, 2011 6:11 AM

Much respect to Spies but 3 dnf's,two 6th's a 3rd and a win in his 2nd year of motogp doesn't make Ben the rider of the decade at all.

Rossi has been the best rider of the past decade by a a long shot, even though I don't like him.

The rider of this decade is yet to be decided.

Cheers.

Why Come You So Dumb - Unregistered

June 26, 2011 6:14 AM

I was the first to disagree with the leading post. Gold star for me, damn this touch pad and hello number 11 aaahhh beers... and whats up with the leathers. The crotch area is a bit strange. Not that I was looking, but they should have made the white area larger. LOL

JapLance

June 26, 2011 7:42 AM

Spies did a terrific race, has a decent season up to now, and had a normal rookie season.

From that to "rider of the decade" or "5th alien" there is a long way. He's in the right path, but still far from that.

The way he won the WSBK title only confirms that WSBK riders are also far from MotoGP quality (the top guns I mean).

RawDawg

June 26, 2011 8:17 AM

"To me Cal Crutchlow is showing as much if not more potential as Spies and he's got a huge heart to go with it."

Tax Dodger

Before I jump into this , I would like it be known that I like Cal. Yes I do. I think he's brilliantly fast and has courage and even though I was one of the people who said that I wasn't sure if he deserved his seat based on his results, he's proven that he belongs. There is no doubt about that.

So now. Explain yourself. Of course you have the right to your opinion but the results and facts doesn't back it up.

This time last year Ben had 2 DNF's and Cal has a DNF and a DNS. But Cal's BEST finish of 7th only equals Ben's WORST finish. Ben finished 5th, 7th, 3rd, 4th, and 6th.

There is one extra factory bike this year but Tech 3 also has a better package. Colin already has a podium and should have 2.

Don-R

June 26, 2011 10:02 AM

@ TheBaron

"Now, someone tell Crutchlow how to set up a motorcycle."

Then presumably someone needs to tell Colin too, since he had exactly the same problem. Cal came in to switch to a hard compound front because he felt didn't dare risk it with that freshly-plated collarbone, whereas Edwards chose to chance it but lost pace and places. But both Tech 3 bikes had their fronts completely fall apart. Which is odd because both bikes ran the soft in FP without issues.

« 6 7 8 9 10 11  »