MotoGP » Crutchlow 'back on track' despite choking

"About three or four laps into the race, my mouthpiece in my Camelback came off, and I choked on it" – Cal Crutchlow.

RawDawg

August 29, 2011 2:57 PM

"but at the end of the race I was lapping faster than Jorge Lorenzo."

what???

Nevermind the fact that Jorge was cruising to a lonely 4th and Cal was getting passed by a guy who took a couple of smoke breaks, according to the lap analysis on MotoGP he wasn't even close to Jorge times at the end.

From lap 19 to 27, Jorge was in the 1'40's - Cal only broke 1'40's once in that time frame and it was a high 1'40.993. And on the last lap (lap 28) Jorge did a 1'41.1 but Cal did a 1'42.5

So what is he looking at? Someone check the data to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Tippy Toes

August 29, 2011 3:32 PM

@ Rawdawg..lol, Cal does seem wildly optimistic .....J lo was doing 40's 41...Cal was doing 41's, 42's and a 43.6 on lap 7.... perhaps his team keep "a second set of books" with better times to keep his spirits up !!

RawDawg

August 29, 2011 4:20 PM

@pcamax

No, Jorge was not slower than Cal's best lap on lap 23.

The problem is Cal wasn't even a few tenths off his own best lap. Cal's next best lap the whole race was a 1'41.48 - and he wasn't anywhere near consistent with that. It makes it seems like he got a tow or something on his best lap.

So no, he wasn't "just as fast" and definitely wasn't "faster" than Jorge at the end of the race like he says.

Arclight X

August 29, 2011 4:54 PM

He finished a race so there's something (perhaps not much) to be said for that.

I keep thinking that its got to be hard for the guy considering the record he's most certainly being measured against in Herve's mind.

Correct me if you feel I'm off base but when I read Poncheral's comments it seems like one can almost read between the lines to some extent such as "well we didn't expect you to be the equal of Spies but come on you've got to be at least in the same neighbourhood".

Not an easy position to find himself in but he knew this going in.

Arclight X

August 29, 2011 5:00 PM

On a related topic, I nearly rolled over laughing when M. Roberts stumbled along Toseland on the grid and James started to (I don't want to say "Make excuses") provide insight into why Cal might be struggling.

Oh for the love of God, that's the last thing anyone wants to hear, least of all Crutchlow himself. Encourage the guy, say things like "He's one solid finish from getting his Mojo back, etc. etc.." but don't start prophesizing his demise ala a previous MotoGP Brit.

My $0.02

sid - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 7:20 PM

What utter rubbish!
Nothing but yet more excuses from Cal.
Jack it in now mate for everyones sake because that performance was shocking. Crutchlow is not in the same league as the world champion, and will never get remotely close. I am sick to death of all his excuses

1 2 3  »