MotoGP » Doohan: Stoner could beat my records - and Rossi's

"Stoner could easily surpass what I've done, and perhaps even Valentino Rossi" – Mick Doohan.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

ty - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 5:45 PM

"Easily surpass" - he has the talent but the competition now is fierce unlike some 8 years ago. i expect a max of 3 world titles but can get as many wins as doohan.

GIXXER - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:09 PM

Okay caveat to what he says, IF stoner has the best bike for the next decade yep he might catch Rossi.

However I hope not he is so little personality, I cant evert remember one of his post race celebration lete alone smiling.

wlrone - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:12 PM

I sincerely hope Rossi will go back to Yamaha and JL join Repsol Honda, then I trully believe Stoner is best rider currently. I doubt Stoner will get another championship next year with 1000 cc as the extra hp of HRC will not be advantage anymore with lower RPM

Jas6004 - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:16 PM

Stoner has matched and maybe even surpassed Doohan in one area - Their constant moaning. Doohan was always complaining about this and about that, and now I have to listen to Stoner doing the same. He should try doing a real job day in day out, then he might realise how lucky he is.

Marc - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:16 PM

Stoner got lucky for the first championship with Ducati getting it all right with TC, tires and I'll admit the right rider this year he's on the best bike and his closest competitor in Pedrosa got injured and Yamaha slipped a bit. I'll admit he has talent but due to his fragile mental make-up I'd be surprised if he was able to get more than 3 championships and even 3 maybe a stretch with the young guns that will be nipping at his and other riders heels.

Manager - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:17 PM

Nice words coming from the 5 time world champion and fellow countryman. But what do you expect coming from his manager.

Oh and yes he's now managing Casey too.

Why do you think we have so much 27 support on here it's on ozzy invasion.

MD is helping and behind it all...

dozy d - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:32 PM

GIXXER i dont know about his celebrations or lack there of i cant even remember any of his race wins its like watching paint dry i just switch off after 5-6 laps if he dont fluff it up

Skiwi-1 - Unregistered

October 06, 2011 6:32 PM

By the time Mick won his 1st MotoGP he was 25 I think. Stoner had a WC and multiple wins by that time. Stoner has every chance of doing just exactly what Mick has suggested.
One thing I'm glad to see is that not only do modern MotoGP riders ger seriously injured a lot less but the stress of riding the 500's has left the building. 500's used to age the riders considerably due to the high stress levels and human effort required to be a front runner. For all his millions over the years Mick looks like he's had a hard life. Glad to see he's still around and visible in the sport