MotoGP » Malaysian MotoGP, Sepang - Warm-up

Full warm-up times from the Malaysian MotoGP at Sepang, round 17 of 18.

Smithy - Unregistered

October 23, 2011 5:45 AM

Rossi, Bautista and Barbera screwed up a great lap from Dani while cruising around waiting for a tow. I really wish race direction would do something about that.

If you want to try and get a tow, I think you should be allowed to. However, soon as you screw up the lap of another rider while doing it there should be some sort of penalty!

JimmyJimmy

October 23, 2011 5:48 AM

I'm finding the tyre selection of the Ducati team perplexing. I was surprised yesterday when Rossi came out and made a pretty conclusive statement that showed they had pretty much made up their mind that the hard rear tyre was the correct tyre for the race. In warm-up, pretty much everyone I could see was running the soft rear except Rossi (and Hayden I think and maybe De Puniet). Bautista and Barbera (on soft rears) left Rossi for dead in warm-up. I understand that hard tyres can be slow to begin with then come home strong to give an overall better race time than a soft, but almost the entire field appear to believe that the soft is the better race-long option. My guess is that Rossi was trying a setup change in warm-up that didn't work, but even if that is the case, it appears to me that the Ducati factory team will be making a significant mistake if they go with the hard rear for the race.

JimmyJimmy

October 23, 2011 5:51 AM

@smithy

Hey Smithy. How's it going?

"However, soon as you screw up the lap of another rider while doing it there should be some sort of penalty! "

For qualifying I agree with you, but a penalty for slowing someone down in practice or warm-up would be going a bit far don't you think?

JimmyJimmy

October 23, 2011 5:53 AM

It appears that the soft rear will be used by the majority of field, including the top-runners, for the race. In a previous thread, someone made the point that Stoner had "wasted" practice time on the hard rear. I think this guy has a point. It seems Pedrosa's team were ahead of the game and have spent a lot of time on the soft rear right from P-1. On the other hand, Stoner spent a lot of time on the hard rear across all practice sessions and even qualifying. It's looking like team Pedrosa have got the jump on team Stoner on this occasion. That's a bit surprising given this is a track where team Stoner have the most Honda experience (with the pre-season testing).

Stoner and his team have done so well this year given this is there first year with this bike. They will be even stronger next year as they'll begin the year with a far greater understanding of what they are working with when they revisit each track.

Liam48

October 23, 2011 6:03 AM

Once Rossi and Ducati look like they make an improvement the next day they're no where. Come on Rossi why can't you ride all the time like the did after you fell off yesterday, you showed you skill, speed and talent but it was a too late... if you rode like that you would do so much better and gain a lot of your respect from people back. He just needs to ride pi$$ed off all the time for him to go fast.

On another note... well done Aoyama.

Liam48

October 23, 2011 6:07 AM

According to Davide Brivio on twitter... Rossi was the only rider not to use the softer tyre in warm up and that the harder tyre will be the wrong option for the race. So i guess everyone will use the soft tyre.

Why not use the wet... hopefully it'll rain and we'll have a hell for leather race.

iswaar

October 23, 2011 6:09 AM

Tyre Choice,

Jimmy Jimmy perhaps you know or have read something I have not but from everything I have heard and read is that the teams will only decide sometime today (Sunday) and that the anticipated weather conditions will influence their decisions.
Anyway my comment is not a criticism of what you have said.

JimmyJimmy

October 23, 2011 6:25 AM

@iswaar

After reading your post, I tracked down the quote by Rossi that led me to believe he was set on the hard tyre. I thought he made the comment on Saturday, but he actually made it Friday,

"I really hope to be able to use the hard tyres because that would be the right choice for the race"

That caught my attention at the time because it left me wondering how he could make that call so early in the meet.

What I missed though, and I think this is your point, is that Rossi came out with the following on Saturday,

"Anyway, our pace has improved, especially with the hard tyre, although to tell the truth, the choice for the race won't be easy. We'll make the decision at the last minute after evaluating tomorrow's conditions, and it will really be crucial"

I take your point buddy. He may race with the soft after all. After analysing the warm-up data, you would think it would be almost certain.

1 2  »