MotoGP » Hayes in for Edwards, who will replace Lorenzo?

Yamaha “want something other than a regular test rider”.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

SupaHeroz.com - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 12:42 PM

It would be great to see Tommy Hill get a chance but I suspect he has already signed for the Crescent WSB team.
I just can't think of any other riders who stand out as deserving a chance on Lorenzo's bike.

rockingrodders - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 12:53 PM

Tommy Hill would be a rookie so couldn't ride a factory bike in moto gp. Same goes for all the other rookie riders names being mentioned in connection with this ride. Or does that rule not apply to wild cards?

Oli - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 1:02 PM

I agree, I have been thinking of who else could step in but it seems everyone who raced a proddy for Yamaha this year has signed for someone else next year!

As far as I know, the WSB guys are signed to the factory, so Laverty and Melandri will have had a contract with Yamaha most likely up to 31 December, but as they have tested for their new teams I assume their Yamaha contracts have been torn up as part of that agreement. The fact that they have now publicly ridden for their new teams makes them a non-starter.

With Tommy, there are a lot of things to consider. Firstly, I assume he would jump at the chance to ride if it came up. With his contract, I expect that will have been with SMR rather than Yamaha. If that is the case, when does that run out? If it's 31 Dec then even if he has signed for Cresent for 2012, as long as his SMR contract is still in place and he wants to ride, I see no reason why Yamaha couldn't make it happen.

If his SMR contract has been torn up and he's signed

Oli - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 1:03 PM

for Cresent, the fact he hasn't yet ridden the Suzuki publicly makes it a possibility still I guess, as a reward for winning BSB, but far less likely and he would probably need Cresent's permission.

Anyway, thats all me guessing - does anyone actually know?

Oli

Oli - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 1:05 PM

Chaz wouldn't be a rookie....

Did Chaz ride the Ducati yet?

His contract will also have been with his team rather than Yamaha, but maybe they would allow him to compete.

Oli

Pete - Unregistered

October 29, 2011 1:09 PM

Respect to Herve for first managing to find a replace for Edwards at such short notice and for putting an actual racer on his bike. The final round is going to be a very difficult event for everyone involved in the sport but a seriously depleted grid or one made up using test riders is not what anyone wants to see next weekend.

RIP #58

Don-R

October 29, 2011 1:30 PM

@ rockingrodders

The rookie rule doesn't apply to wildcards or replacement riders. Yamaha can put anybody they want to on the bike. The difficult bit is finding someone who's not contracted to another manufacturer.

Ben1

October 29, 2011 1:58 PM

I'm happy with Hayes, hope he will have a good race.
But why everybody thinks only contracted Yamaha riders can take that ride? Ben Bostrom was a Suzuki rider when he rode for LCR Honda, Roger Lee Hayden a Kawasaki pilot one year before. It's only a one-off, I don't think it should be taken so serious.