MotoGP » Valentino Rossi predicts low-tech MotoGP future

“We are going to have to ride bikes with less performance, which cost less and [are] maybe more fun” – Valentino Rossi.

seriously - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 3:17 AM

Posted by some1

you think the Doohan era was interesting?im sure if you check the crowd attendance at any gp during his unchallenged reign and the figures will confirm that not many ppl gave a toss about motogp till Rossi came along.after Rainey n Schwantz left,it was dying a death.
Posted by yzrm10

So you only watch the racing to look at the crowd or something?
I couldn't give a toss if there was a crowd or not! I'm only interested in the bike racing.

Couldn't give a toss?
No crowds equals no interest.
No interest equals no sponsors.
No sponsors equals no money.
No money equals NO racing.

You have to think things through a little more than you're showing at the moment.

Merenge - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 5:03 AM

No interest equals no sponsors - Sponsors interest is to have their Brands flashed all over the TV and internet. Not on you. You are Dorna's interest, not the manufacturers, nor the sponsors.

No sponsors no money - then again, if they won't they don't get publicity. That or they could just go to a different sport. W/c would be pretty hard. lol.

No money no racing - CORRECT! But money comes from the sponsors of the manufacturers, and sponsors of the riders. What Dorna is addressing is the bike themselves that are being leased by the Sat's from the factories is too freakin' pricey. So they made CRT's.

Merenge - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 5:10 AM

@con

W/c is what would seem to be the main concern of the current factory riders since it's not like the CRT will catch up in due time to the Manufacturers. It's the other way around. Now if the manufacturers and riders leave because they don't like the machines. Then say byebye to MotoGP. MotoGP will survive even if it looses a chunk of its fanbase/viewers. As long as the sponsors are there. Motogp is good to go.

Sean13 - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 6:12 AM

I think everyone here is missing the point! Out of all the films ever made, his favourite is the Blues Brothers?! Now that is far more embarassing than his 2011 season!

seriously - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 6:40 AM

@ Merenge
“No crowds equals no interest - yeah, lemme guess, around 90% of them would be exactly just like you.”

So tell me, what exactly “around 90% of them would be exactly just like you” means?
What am I like? Are you a Psychic? No, hang on you can't be. You're taking stabs in the dark.

I was reacting to some1's post and stating that without crowds the racing stops. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm not exactly a fan of crowds myself but I enjoy going to the MotoGp regardless. The racing isn't conducted purely for the enjoyment of TV and internet viewers.

Sounds to me like you're suggesting that MotoGP can keep sponsors on-board regardless of crowd numbers.

Until sponsors (or Governments) pick up the tab for hosting each round of the Championship, races couldn't be held without a sizable crowd.
No money equals No venue.
Sponsors need to know they're getting a fair bang for their buck. Without that security they will take their money elsewhere.

confusedfan - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 6:46 AM

It's the not the reduced 'tech' that concerns me but the lack of innovation that will ensue. Once the engines all get tuned to similar performance (which is the point of CRT) I can't see the chassis manufactures spending to much money to develop any outstanding new technologies/solutions, which means no carbon frames (ok, bad example), no engines been stressed members etc. So, if there is no development, and consumers can't buy the products we see racing and the racing will always be better in production racing then WHAT'S THE POINT OF IT?

On the plus side, if CRT's kill MotoGP, then maybe we'll get WSBK on free to air TV (in Australia anyway)

BensPies - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 8:18 AM

You noobs with that complete lack of respect for Rossi are in for a rude awakening when he retires. Mark my words when I say the sport will die a rapid death when he retires. You fail to realize that at least a half of those who watch the sport do so because of Rossi.

A 1

December 22, 2011 9:15 AM

So what is MotoGp? Is it the show of pretty colours and the underlying love/hate storylines of a bad soap opera combined with a "lovely" day out with the crowds looking at overpriced T-shirts? Bad overpriced food and blokes wandering round topless swigging warm flat beer from a plastic pot telling stories of 180mph wheelies while being chased by half the local constabulary? Thats what the average punter from the races is in my eyes.

The racing is what I want to see. If Casey and Co have to race Little tyke learner trikes round the local multystorey car park then thats what I will PAY to watch on Tv. 10 floors of negotiating those tight up and down ramps with the dangers of deisel slicks on down ramp entries with their little legs peddling like the clappers will be my fix. Some penalty points for breaking the expanded polystyrene mother and child boards is giving me the horn. As long as the racings tight I don't care what the steed they ride is.

Jack Mordino

December 22, 2011 11:57 AM

I thought I had seen everything here but the surprise is never too far.

The menu for today's surprises containes 2 fabulous pieces: 1. The unprecedented wisdom that a rider is responsible for the lack of money in MotoGP and 2. The declaration of love for motorsport to such an extent by guys who would pay to watch races with learner trikes.

I'm really torn between those two for ingenuity.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  »