MotoGP » Valentino Rossi predicts low-tech MotoGP future

“We are going to have to ride bikes with less performance, which cost less and [are] maybe more fun” – Valentino Rossi.

rotsa ruck - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 5:20 AM

@ RonM,
I'm not slagging off Sheene nor Roberts. I fully realize both of their contributions. I merely compared Rossi to Sheene because the both of them transcend the sport itself. People who knew nothing about motorcycle racing at all, knew who Barry Sheene was. In the same way people here in the US know nothing about MotoGP, they know who Rossi is. They couldn't name a single other rider but they know Rossi is #46. That's the point I'm trying to make to those who think Rossi brings nothing to the MotoGP table. No other rider has his popularity outside of MotoGPs fan base. I look at things in big picture view. I see what other people think beyond the relatively tiny world of MotoGP. Finally, I'd say, write him off at risk of eating crow. He's made many of us (me included) look foolish before, I don't doubt he'll do so again.

8=> - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 6:31 AM

@rotsa ruck

"In the same way people here in the US know nothing about MotoGP, they know who Rossi is. They couldn't name a single other rider but they know Rossi is #46."

Well, that just tells me Rossi, his PR machine and/or Dorna are doing a great job at promoting him but in general doing very little for the sport as whole in the US. Promotion of the sport is far more important then a single individual. Basically, if Rossi retires, which he will one day, then you lose a large portion of the US market. More importantly, the US should know and support their local riders first foremost.

Jack Mordino

December 24, 2011 4:30 PM

@ 8=v:

Dorna does what it can with every champion. Be it Stoner, Lorenzo, Doohan, Rainey, Lawson, Roberts.... you name him. None of these guys ever reached the popularity Rossi has. He just has a natural charm which transcends the media and reaches everyone who is watching.

Whatever anyone chooses to do with it of course is entirely another matter. Personally I don't want to see racing as war, i prefer to see it as a fest, the love for the sport is above all, motorcycle is a way of living for me in my real life and adds joy to it, so I want this to be communicated in a in the racing too.

Rossi does exactly that. He is a "festive" type of personality and adds something extra to the whole feeling. Far away from the grim faces we have gotten used to in the past.

Again, I regard this as a take-or leave kind of thing, this is not meant as universal praise.

rotsa ruck - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 5:16 PM

Well said Jack. I'm not specifically a fan of Rossi. I've followed his career from it's very beginning in 125s as an interested observer. I am a realist though and fully understand what he's brought to the MotoGP table.

@8-v, America is too large and diverse for anyone outside of the MotoGP fan base to know who is who in the sport. Many riders I've met don't even know about the sport. For me to meet such a person who can't name any rider, much less an American one, yet they know who Rossi is says much about how he has transcended the sport.

I've even met women my age, who know nothing about racing beyond Nascar and yet, they too know who Rossi is. If that is Rossi's PR machine or Dorna in action I don't know. But I know of no other in the era of twitter and the internet who transcend a sport like Rossi. Jordan, Tiger, and Kobe all come to mind but they don't race.

rotsa ruck - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 5:28 PM

Sheene was the Rossi of his day. He was popular for being a real character. A rider who lived life to it's fullest and made no excuses for it. The difference is, Rossi reached his peak during a time when media was no longer limited to TV and newspapers.

I remember trying to find out who won which class and having to wait for a monthly like Cycle News to find out. Before things like Speedvision and the internet, streaming video and mobile devices, that was the only way.

I am a fan of American riders, because I am American. I support my home country riders the same as anyone. To say something negative about Rossi is sour grapes, he brings much more to the table than simply his riding. The media exposure that brings people from outside the sport in, is what will grow the fan base. Not the same hardcore fans who've been following for years.

shamarone

December 24, 2011 7:12 PM

re: "The difference is, Rossi reached his peak during a time when media was no longer limited to TV and newspapers."

exactly. this is one of the many reasons why trying to compare 20th century racing to 21st century racing is bordering on apples to oranges. "Toto... we're not in Kansas anymore."

shamarone

December 24, 2011 7:16 PM

re: "The media exposure that brings people from outside the sport in, is what will grow the fan base. Not the same hardcore fans who've been following for years."

hear hear...!!! the unfortunate catch 22 is the money that FUNDS the media exposure originates with the "hardcore". ironically they/we were the first to drop the ball and start devaluing the industry and have been hell bent on bringing about it's destruction going on a decade now. let's review shalln't we...? we've gotten loris put to pasture (the past), had front row seats to the death of simo (the future), and won't rest till such time we've decapitated rossi (the present). with this dubious "trifecta of italian cannibalizism" complete, we will then set upon the gruesome task of severing our noses from our faces. the police and the media have a term for this "crime scene"... it's called a "murder/suicide".

EnRiCo47

December 24, 2011 8:13 PM

@@@Valentino Rossi said on Christmas Day (read Google Italian-sport -today).

That 2011 the worst year of his life has made him stronger,and he will come back better that ever.
Not that he will win 11 races but that hopefully he will contest the podium again(this time with the Ducati).

This is what ##46## said today.

check it out.

Ciao, Enrico

RonM - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 8:28 PM

rotsa ruck,sorry if you thought I was having a go at you (not knowing your age)from your comment about Rossi (whom I admire greatly myself)I was thinking that you where maybe to young to remember the Sheene Roberts era(some of the best and closest racing ever)I would only have ago at someone who had ago at me first.I agree with some of the points you have put forward and other posters also,but as we are each individuals no one will aree with every comment made

ChakDey - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 9:27 PM

Vale is head & shoulders above all racers. His second-to-none racing record speaks for itself.

The introduction of electronic rider aids in the 800cc bike era helped the other riders, especially the midget ones, to close the performance gap to Rossi.

Just when lots of guys were saying Rossi is getting old & his reflexes are a bit slow, the slow motion videos showed his remarkable reflexes in bike control to avoid Marco in a split second even though Vale's view was partially blocked by Edwards.

Wish Rossi a Merry Christmas & the best of health & fitness for many years to come

Wish all the MGP fans a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year & a competitive MGP season for all to thoroughly enjoy & enthuse over in the forums.

javascript:insertTextCursor('comment',%20':)')