MotoGP » Moto2: Gino Rea yet to be confirmed at Gresini

“There are some things that the team are waiting on to confirm my position, but it's looking positive” – Gino Rea.

Don-R

February 13, 2012 5:34 PM

Gino is a natural for Moto2. I hope that whatever is causing the delay in signing him is sorted out soon because I think he'll do a great job for Gresini this year. Watching him go up against the likes of Redding, Iannone, Espargaro etc is going to be a real treat.

pcxmac - Unregistered

February 13, 2012 8:58 PM

Gresini seem to have a good package, but this guy is yet to really show his potential (as advertised in WSS) did he win any races? Anyways he 'deserves' a ride, a shame hes not confirmed this far in to 2012.

* Yeah he had two podiums, one of which was a win, however most of his other finishes were midpack and then there were a few crashes. He really needs to get his consistency down. I would like to see David Salom or Chaz Davis in Moto2 first.

Ian S - Unregistered

February 13, 2012 10:49 PM

"yet to show his potential"! Were you watching the same races as the rest of us last year? Rea was brilliant on a bike that was woefully short on performance compared to the likes of Chaz's Yamaha and all or the PTR and Ten Kate Hondas. The crashes that he had, and there weren't that many, were because he was riding like a demon to keep up with the big teams. As European STK champion I think he has already proved his potential anyway. The WSS win at Brno simply confirmed it.

pcxmac - Unregistered

February 14, 2012 1:33 AM

was that why he finished below top 10 more often then on the podium? I guess, all I really got from him is the announcers screaming bloody fan boy and Gino not coming up except for Brno. I'm sure hes a talented rider, but if he was as good as everyone is building him up to be you would have think he would have been regularly finishing top 8 or 7. The guy is wild, probably not as reckless as #58, RIP, but hes still has yet to earn his race pace, I believe. I'm sure there are less talented folk lining the moto2 grid, but Gino still needs to prove he can contend regularly for the podiums, something which will be even harder now that hes potentially in Moto2. Hes got his work cut out, despite my feelings its still rotten to see a rider this far in to the season 'yet to be confirmed.'

Ian S - Unregistered

February 14, 2012 3:34 AM

You seem to want to blame poor results on the rider. That bike spent the first half of the season breaking down almost every time the thing hit the track. Once the team gave him a half way reliable, though still slow, bike to work with then he produced the results. He's in Moto2 because Gresini knows quality when he sees it.

pcxmac - Unregistered

February 14, 2012 5:21 AM

I would wager you good money your speaking out of your bumb. I would also hazard to guess if Gino doesnt get his sponsorship in order Gresini will drop him like a hot potato, because Fausto has made a habit of picking up riders that come with the right amount of $$$, even if better riders are already sitting on inferior bikes.

Ian S - Unregistered

February 14, 2012 3:36 PM

I cannot testify to the sponsorship thing. You are probably correct that he needs to bring it with him, but Gresini still has faith that he can produce results or he wouldn't even be considered for the seat. As for talking out of my 'bumb', I'm proud to stand along with the man who first spotted Gino's potential. Mick Corrigan was a darn good rider himself, but his talent for picking winners to mentor is beyond debate. Mick always rode with the number 52 on his bike, which is why James Toseland rode with it on his. If Corrigan rates him then who are we to doubt his abilities?