MotoGP » Moto2: Rea struggling to make headway

'It goes without saying that we are behind at the moment and the gap to the top guys is too big' - Gino Rea

Filter Comments: All | Registered

pp916 - Unregistered

March 22, 2012 11:34 AM

Are they going to regret the move to Showa?

Gino is better thgan this, I hope they can give him a bike that's competitive, although its noticable that all the Moriwaki's are languishing at the back, including Damien Cudlin and he's no mug either.....damn! I was so looking forward to Gino mixing it up in this class!

Don-R

March 22, 2012 11:51 AM

Very disappointing after Gino showed so well earlier in the test. I agree that he's much better than this position, so I hope they can work through the suspension issues and find some solutions for Qatar.

mezzzzzzz - Unregistered

March 22, 2012 12:33 PM

yep I think Gresini may regret switching to showa in all classes, they have alot of data collecting to do! Did Bautista know he would be on showa before he signed for gresini?

Plaggie - Unregistered

March 22, 2012 2:10 PM

I think the Moriwaki is less competitive than Kalex and Suter, but it's not impossible to get some results with it. Michele Pirro won Valencia last year. Oke, conditions were difficult and a gamble, but Pirro finished inside the top 10 in the final standings. And I don't rate him as high as Gino Rea.
I think the problems are all down to showa, unfortunately.

RawDawg

March 22, 2012 3:52 PM

If anything, I would say the lack of set up data is what's holding them back and not the actual lack of performance from the Showas. I have a hard time believing Showa - who won titles with Honda in MotoGP - can't make shocks for a less powerful and lighter Moto2 bike. You would think they could reach into their parts bin and grab some older MotoGP kit that could work for Moto2 bikes.

Being that Gresini is the only team with Showas (that I know of) they are the only team that Showa can pull data from to help with the set up. Don't be surprise if they can get it right that it will be a slight advantage. But that's if the frame itself is competitive. And looking at teams like Ten Kate who have changed suspension companies the last couple of years it has come down to the chassis not being that great - not the suspension components. There was no change in results after the switch.

pp916 - Unregistered

March 22, 2012 5:54 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the works Honda Motogp team currently run Showa, they are on Ohlins like everybody else. Very telling.
Still believe its high risk going against the norm, but yes, the Moriwaki chassis has maybe not kept pace with improvements made by Kalex & Suter in particular, which can only compound their problems.
Last thing I want to see is Gino throwing himself down the road trying to make up for deficiencies in the bike.

1 2  »