MotoGP » 'Pleased' Valentino Rossi bins 'bad setup'

“We made some mistakes at Sepang II chasing a bad set-up. We changed the set-up, first the rear and then the front, and now I enter the corners pretty well again” – Valentino Rossi.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

1motion

March 26, 2012 12:52 AM

@nick881

well you are right, he does do way better in the races which is im not saying he is going to get stomped by the tech 3 boys and alvaro... he will put up a good race with them... and im not even saying its impossible for a chance at a podium with some fortune... but im am being realistic... something Rossi fans are refusing to do... personally im not a Val fan but i dont hate him either... i would like to see him back up front but its just not gonna happen anytime soon... being hopeful is ok... but a time for celebration this is not... a step forward maybe... but he is still a long way from being able to hang with the top 4

nick881 - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 12:54 AM

i just find it annoying when people come on here just to talk Rossi down. I think the Ducati spin doctors could learn a few things from some of the posters on this site!!

It doesn't matter if you are a Rossi fan or not, the results of this test are positive for Ducati and Rossi especially after the disappointing Sepang II test. And that is positive for this sport. Any true MotoGP fan should be able to see that a competitive Ducati team is good for the grid. I want all manufacturers to be fighting for wins.

So I will take this as it is, a positive step for Ducati, end of. (that doesn't mean I'm suggesting Rossi will be fighting with Stoner and JLo for the 1st win).

FFISH - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 12:57 AM

My opionion.The Italian has decided to grow a set of nuts and start to ride the Ducati a bit like Stoner.Thats the only difference.Doesn't take much to make up a second or so.

redroo900 - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 1:06 AM

I don't see any sandbaging, methodical approach to getting the bike worked out, they have to try everything they can to see what works and what doesn't including going in the wrong direction. One has to believe Rossi/JB/Ducati have to be cautious about everything at this point in time, this will include making sure the riders are fit and healthy to start the season, taking big chances to do fastest laps won't happen, but they are in the ballpark now. Once the race season starts the real position of Rossi/Hayden and the Ducati will be known for real, Stoner/Pedrosa/Lorenzo/Spies could also be taking it relatively easy too!.. game on!

nick881 - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 1:08 AM

I don't think Rossi is sandbagging, they don't have the performance to be able to sandbag IMO. But I don't think Stoner is sandbagging either, he generally just goes out and goes as fast as he can.

Natedoggius - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 1:20 AM

@vale2012

Hi bid. Surprised no one answered you yet.
The single sided swing arm is called an elf. It's a French design that Honda bought the patent to and have been applying to a bunch of their bikes since the 80's
More modern examples are the vfr400 and vfr800's as well as the current vfr1200
They're all Hondas running V4 engines with single sided swing arms. There was a naked v-twin for a while as well.
I don't remember anyone other than Ducati taking elf swing arms racing but if you saw it on a Honda then I'm sure you're right.
Ducati also runs the elf system, I think the current wsbk runs one? Correct me if I'm wrong. Think they've been on the 1098's and up...
As to solving Rossis problem, who knows. I think the system works out to be heavier due to the need of greater structural integrity, I think it's more an esthetic thing. Does look good

shamarone

March 26, 2012 1:26 AM

re: "No matter how you spin it Ducati threw away an entire racing season and a design philosophy to wind up almost exactly where they were after testing last year."

as long as they learned something about the bike, the tyres, rossi, or themselves then there's no such thing as a "throw away" season.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.” - Soichiro Honda

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »