MotoGP » 'Pleased' Valentino Rossi bins 'bad setup'

“We made some mistakes at Sepang II chasing a bad set-up. We changed the set-up, first the rear and then the front, and now I enter the corners pretty well again” – Valentino Rossi.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

vale2012 - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 2:08 AM

Thanks very much to all who answered my question about the single-sided swing arm. Now I find out it was applied to the front wheel as well! I find these technical innovations fascinating.

Which brings me to another question I have. With the constant struggle to bring heat to the tyres, why don't they channel some of the heat from the disk brakes into the tyres? Those disks must get mighty hot under breaking (F1 brakes glow red). Has anyone tried to move that heat into the rim?

Or how about directing exhaust gases to the rear tyre?

Just wondering.

shamarone

March 26, 2012 2:23 AM

re: "Which brings me to another question I have. With the constant struggle to bring heat to the tyres, why don't they channel some of the heat from the disk brakes into the tyres?"

well the better question is how do you regulate the amount...? see, there's such a thing as too much heat into a tyre. heat is what's used to create the tyre in the first place. too much heat and you're only further curing/vulcanizing the compound. so it's not about reaching a max value as it is about staying within a specific temperature "window". above this or below this and the tyre's not working.

Natedoggius - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 2:24 AM

Interesting suggestion, in a dry race heat in the tyres isn't an issue, if anything it's the other way round,
In the wet it might help, I know F1 do something similar, its an interesting idea, y not try exploring it further yourself?

And as a cheeky comment, u asked if elf could help Rossi, well, as someone posted that it apparantly takes feel away from the front end.... Not something Rossi needs right now :)

Claes

March 26, 2012 2:31 AM

Hi
Good on you Rossi at least some progress
ELF The concept of Single swingarm and "swingarm" in the front was designed by a french designer and sponsored by ELF Oil ridden to it's best potential by Ron Haslam 1986 after that the frame was built by same designer but with a conventional form still Sponsored by ELF Oil therefor the logo, Ron did well on the conventional 1987 and came 4th. Honda then bought the (what they thought was) the patent of a single swingarm design, so when Ducatireleased it's 916 back in 1994 Honda said they had the patent on single swingarm because they where first, Aprilia then rolled out a scooter from 1950's soemthing with a single swingarm and thats was the end of that courtcase (Aprilia then helped Ducati before they came on bad terms)
The ELF project from 1986 was shelved becaus Ron was crashing alot and they could not understand Y then a highspeed camera showed that the front swingarm actually 'scratched' the ground and then he crashed:)
Cheers Claes

Ausrossi

March 26, 2012 2:39 AM

Yep the Bimota Tesi 1D and Yam made a swingarm front and back. As stated it seems that the steering is not a one to one with the change in wheel angle compared the handle bars significantly faster which must be very disconcerting...

Natedoggius - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 2:42 AM

Ill call it now.

This has been the most interesting thread I've yet to read on crash

An interesting technical argument with loads of interesting anecdotes and almost (well I ragged Rossi but I love the guy) no flaming of various riders/posters

Natedoggius
I was about to comment that this has got away from the original posting, I suppose I got involved to try & correct some misconseptions about Elf & hub centre steering.
I know at times I have bagged Valentino, maybe its his turn to be on the receiving end of some critism, he has dished it out to others in the past. As much as I support Casey I really want Honda Yamaha & Ducati battling for the championship so that maybe the championship is decided at the last round.

NL160800 - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 3:02 AM

Vale 2012, The single sided swing arm was one of may differences between Doohan and Okada's bike in 1996.

The main difference was that Doohan was riding a v4 500cc two stroke and Okada, was riding the V2 500cc two stroke.
In 1996 the V2 500cc bike was a cost cutting exercise, it had nowhere near the power of the v4, but it was lighter and pretty good on the tight tracks.

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »