MotoGP » Ben Spies: We have a very competitive bike

"I think we have a very competitive bike for 2012" - Ben Spies.

Canadian Fan - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 10:13 AM

I'm hoping Ben has an awesome season, I will get to see him race live this year. Have tickets bought for Indianapolis GP in Aug, first GP race for me. Super excited. It's lonely being a GP race fan in eastren Canada, I can count the people I know who like motorcycle racing on my thumbs. Long way to go for a race but worth it I sure

Bradenws

March 26, 2012 10:37 AM

We all know Spies can ride and race, but he needs to show more than just flashes of brilliance this year. He needs to gain a little more raw pace to really keep up. Here's hoping his races start as well as they usually end, like at Assen and Jerez last year. He just needs to do it more.

John - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 3:53 PM

I worry about how close the tech 3 guys are and Rossi. It could get embarassing for him if he is dicing with the likes of Rossi and Crutchlow whilst Lorenzo and Stoner duke it out for the title

RocketR1

March 26, 2012 4:19 PM

@Canadian Fan
Im also from the East coast and attended the Indy GP last year..No other Motorcycle racing is even close to GP Racing!!!
Ben will turn it up come race day,if he can get a good start look out because we all saw how fast he was even when he had problems early in a race.As for Dicing it with Rossi and Cal..I hope those guys are Fast enough to run up front thats what makes Racing Fun to watch!
Come on April 8th!!!

gg_hh - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 5:06 PM

I like Ben, but I'm starting to wonder if he's hit the ceiling. It's not an easy thing to match Stoner, Lorenzo, & Pedrosa as no one has done it yet. As amazing of a rider Ben is, I believe current MotoGP bikes favor strong 250cc riding styles. You either have that or you don't. You can't just SWITCH to that style and expect to be great.

Don-R

March 26, 2012 6:24 PM

"I believe current MotoGP bikes favor strong 250cc riding styles."

That might have been true of the 800s but I don't think so much with the 1000s. The extra torque and hp allow a much greater variety of lines through corners and are more conducive to the classic 'point and squirt' Superbike style.

Where I think Spies might score some advantage this year is in his proven pace on worn tyres. The new Bridgestones degrade more quickly in comparison to the previous hard compound, so races may well favour the guy who is comfortable sliding the bike around on shot tyres.

BillAce - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 6:46 PM

Don-R

Agreed, I think Ben might just need a little bit more speed at the start. Combine that with the new tires and the top guys could start coming back to him at the end and give him a chance and he has always been great under those circumstances in the past.

gg_hh - Unregistered

March 26, 2012 7:40 PM

Don-R,

Agree to Disagree. Most of the top riders have already said that 1000's still need to ridden like an 800 to go fast. Regarding tire degradation over race distance, I initially believed as you do but studying the race simulations it's clear that not much has changed from last season. Jorge, Casey, & Dani's lap times aren't dropping off enough even as the tires wear. Ben's race simulation is consistently 3-4 tenths off their pace. Ben is a great rider...perhaps clearly even the 4th best rider in MotoGP, but he's not able to match those three guys--at least not yet. He's already dropped his "elbows" out style to try and ride more like Lorenzo's 250 style and it hasn't really helped enough. He's only 1/10 quicker than Crutchlow. I guess we'll just see what happens, but I'm starting to wonder. He just may not be able to go fast enough to catch the top three.

1 2  »