MotoGP » Cal Crutchlow savours first MotoGP front row

"It is a great feeling to be on the front row with Casey and Jorge" - Cal Crutchlow.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

mysticmeg - Unregistered

April 08, 2012 1:04 AM

hope cal has a good smart race,im kinda wondering if tactics might work in this race,rather than the flat out approach,are the hondas goin to get bad chatter as the tyres degrade? suppose we will find out soon enough,podium is possible for cal with his pace, i still think rea would be made for this class,with his aggressive style,he should be here

blue hurricane - Unregistered

April 08, 2012 1:18 AM

@ Don-R, like I said I am not sure, but seem to remember RD was always fast in shooting down any support for Cal. To be fair it may have been as answer to overzelous Cal-fans saying how he would smoke Ben.
Speaking of Ben, for the first races I could see a good battle between the two of them (Cal and Ben) Cal is clearly confident, Ben is still looking to find his stride, could make for some good hard racing between the two of them. Until the factory Yams get new go-fast parts and tech 3 want.

Goforit - Unregistered

April 08, 2012 1:23 AM

I'm a Cal fan, but seriously, if Ben and Cal had even bikes all year, and you had to bet your house, or car, or something similar,,, who would your money be on for the end of the year or more wins? I just see Ben as a step above.

As I said though, I'm a fan of Cals, and it's great to see him at the pointy end. I think he is maturing, and that will translate to more success.

nick881

April 08, 2012 1:43 AM

If you are a fan of Cal then maybe you should be a bit more optimistic about him..... In the early stages of last year there were a few occasions when I though Cal made Spies apparently amazing debut for tech3 look a bit average. At the same time Spies was having a difficult start to 2011. Obviously after that Cal had a tough period mid season and Spies started a run of better form.

They are very different riders but I think if Cal can get a good start to the year and keep his confidence up he will have a very good season. He is a former world champion too remember, even if in WSS.

Don-R

April 08, 2012 1:56 AM

@ popcorn

"Don-r so what you are saying is that no matter how poor spies results are he will retain his factory ride because he is american"

Not quite, results come first. But I do think it would need a severely disappointing year from Ben and an amazingly good one from Dovi for those two to swap. And I'd be very surprised if that's the way it plays out.

RawDawg

April 08, 2012 2:13 AM

"if I am not mistaken last year you said Cal had no right to be in motogp"

@blue hurricane

I said it was a questionable promotion at the time it was announced. And that was based on what other WSBK riders had accomplished before they got to the Premier class. Colin, Bayliss, Hodgson, Haga, Xaus, Spies all were either title winners or title contenders in WSBK. Even Hayden, Shakey, and Tamada had at least won their national championships. Cal had only won 3 WSBK races. I said if that's the criteria to be promoted to MotoGP than were was Rea? Or Haslam?

But I also said concerning Cal and Karel that they are in MotoGP by whatever means or whatever reasons and it was up to them to show they belong. Getting to MotoGP is one thing but continuing to be there is another. I think both have shown that they belong in this class.

RawDawg

April 08, 2012 2:14 AM

"Raw also mentioned that Spies would be winning this one hard just the other day. Its called a tea spoon of salt."

@pcxmac

I'm not following you. I'm sure I didn't say Spies would be winning Qatar.

ritchy - Unregistered

April 08, 2012 2:15 AM

If Cal can ride his M1 like he used to ride the R1 in superbikes hes going to win a race this year, though he needs to stop talking himself into top 6 finishes he need to start thinking podium finishes, BTW when was the last time a british rider was on the front row... This championship will be so much better if we get different winners every few rounds but must say I am a huge yamaha fan so be so good to see lorenzo,spies and cal on the podium, don't care what order.

Goforit - Unregistered

April 08, 2012 3:19 AM

@Nick881,

So you would bet on Cal then? Just wondering.

Just because I favor another rider doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Cals. And wishes are for fishes. I'm hoping he does really well, but I think Spies has much better race tactics, or at least had. Time will tell.

As I said, I think Cal is really starting to mature, and that should mean better results.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »