MotoGP » Ducati sold to Audi?

Ducati sold to Audi for 860 million euros?

fred - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 10:55 AM

Man you lot don't half dig into ducati there road bikes have been good for years don't knock it before you try it I've had mine 10 years never let me down.

And as far as I no the motogp bike is a v4 not a v2

I just hope they keep trellis frames and desmo for there road bikes

I'm not happy with there motogp effort I hope they will turn it around and I hope Suzuki and Kawasaki come back plus BMW or more

wing chun - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 11:19 AM

I dont think this would be good news because this is simply VW continuing to chase BMWs shadow. Case of what BMW can do, VW can also do. In the end BMW has been manufacturing their bikes for a very long time and will continue with their philosophy while VW will try to get ducatis to beat BMW but they still wont be VWs

Triumph poo, Ducati cool - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 11:26 AM

Triumph were rubbish until they copied the Japanese. I know I had a 1969 Bonneville. Couldn't go 100 miles without losing bits through vibration and it broke down periodically. Luckily I discovered oil where I'd parked it.

ffs - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 11:35 AM

From reuters - "Ducati makes about 40,000 two-wheelers a year across its range of cruiser, supermoto, adventure, naked and superbikes that include the muscular Diavel and dual sport Hypermotard. By comparison, industry leader Honda sold over 16 million motorcycles last year."

and people still want to argue that ducati can compete in R&D and racing. Ducati never stood a chance.

mysticmeg - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 12:42 PM

its just the way germans play the (toys for boys) ego game,tho instead of going out to the garage, to see a big red shiny ducati sittin there,they have got the whole fkn factory to play with,i expect to see a german influenced, super ducati in the nxt year or two,something thats jaw dropping cool looking, with proper german high tech engineering,just to wind up bmw

sootmonkey - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 1:03 PM

The Germans will engineer something 'jaw dropping cool'. I don't think so. Whilst they may be top engineers I think it unlikely the Germans ever come above the Italians or French when it comes to style. Yes, you'll get a well sorted product but unlikely to set the pulses racing.
With Germans it's substance over style, the other way round with French and Italian products

billace - Unregistered

April 18, 2012 1:12 PM

The math tells the story.

Ducati sold for 15% below asking price because due diligence showed poor value. The amount is almost equivalent to the debt number meaning VW had Ducati ownership take debt responsibility at the onset. The fact that the sale closed so quickly and they agreed means they were desperate to sell Ducati.

Rossi was a pawn of sorts to try to up the value for a sale, this had to be in motion from the time his contract was signed, it just didn't work out as their fairy tale had imagined it.

Ducati sales up 20% and people praise Rossi as the reason. Ducati invested no money in promoting him as a rider and capitalized on closing sales on lower priced bikes and the credit worthiness of their customer base. 20% YoY increase of 40,000 units is 8,000 bikes worlwide, a slow hour on Honda's production lines and a number so small that it doesn't even show up on industry figures.

If VW wanst to compete with BMW it will be in WSBK where they just purchased the best pedigr

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »