MotoGP » Ducati sold to Audi?

Ducati sold to Audi for 860 million euros?

Aussie - Unregistered

April 19, 2012 1:00 AM

@Realist
I have to agree with "Rawdag" my second passion in motor sports is Drag Racing I take a trip to your country every 2 years to get my "Fix" (was at Maple Grove last year what a beautiful part of the country)I would be 99.9% sure that you could ask any fan who rossi,JLO,stoner or Pedro is and i would be really surprised if a half dozen people knew any of them and I would say the same would be in NASCAR,bike fans yes but motor fans in general I agree with "Raw"

Realist

April 19, 2012 1:05 AM

@ Aussie

I realize that racing in general is a niche thing, which is why I chose my words carefully. Anybody that I have met along the way - male or female - who knows even the slightest thing about bikes, also knows who Valentino Rossi is. They may not know his stats, but they know who he is. For the few that might not recognize him without a hard look, they still know the name. That is my experience living in California, so I can't speak for the other 49 states. :)

I do agree that people who are not fans of motorcycling in general will likely not know the name. Luckily for me(us), California is full of motorcycle fans and awesome tracks to ride.

billace - Unregistered

April 19, 2012 2:15 AM

...and the weather to do it all year round. Grattan, Mi is as far as I've ventured off the east coast. Go to Utah ocaisionally, must ride Miller some day.

Aussie - Unregistered

April 19, 2012 2:22 AM

@Realist
I think most bike clubs would know the top 3 or 4 riders in most bike racing, but I dont think that will mean more sales I have been to your country many times, and acouple of years ago I was at a Drag race and I spent a few days in Nashville and that weekend there was a Bike fest on and it was huge, they took over every hotel in the city and after the ride through the main street I went and had a look at the bikes and 99.9% were Harleys with a few Jap's so I think Ducati are dreaming if they think they can make an impression on that market in the US I don't think it will matter who owns them.

FFISH - Unregistered

April 19, 2012 4:31 AM

This is off topic but related.To me Rossi looks too big on the Ducati in this picture.Anyone else think that?Maybe my eyes are playing tricks??I know he is a little taller than most but he certainly looks too big on the bike here.Just a thought

Poison - Unregistered

April 19, 2012 5:38 PM

Oh Dear! Ducati and Audi have a model-clash..........as both marques have a TT2! So will Audi now scrap the TT2, or will Ducati just change their championship-winning TT2 bikes to a "Tony Rutter Replica"..........? At least the Borgo Panigalesi will earn plenty producing new tank-stickers for the new "TRR" bikes...........!!!

shamarone

April 21, 2012 3:50 AM

re: "I would expect VW to be able to trim significant costs out of the Ducati supply chain and distribution networks and expand the reach of the product. They will easily leverage their capabilities to make Ducati more profitable."

they're too late. all the heavy lifting was done by inv-ind.

shamarone

April 21, 2012 4:29 AM

re: "It is a prestige purchase, possibly also a tax offset, and an aspirational move to face up to their BMW competitors."

close. you have 1 out of 3. it is neither a prestige purchase nor a tax offset.

it is a purchase meant to serve as conduit for intercepting sales AWAY from the roundel and 3-pointed star and directing them TOWARD the 4 overlapping rings. a great portion of the world's wealth is funneled into this $50g-$150g luxury segment. the greatest profit potential per unit sold lies here.

the reason why bm's motorrad has managed to repeatedly dodge the axe is because munich has discovered that customers who first bought r-bikes, k-bikes, and f-bikes on moto side ALSO went on to buy the far more profitable 3-series, 5-series, and 7-series on car side. once this DCA (durable competitive advantage) was recognized, motorrad's future was assured. it's no fluke that BM just beat both LEX and MERC to become america's top luxury brand. and this during a recession. :D

« 4 5 6 7 8 9  »