MotoGP » Ben Spies apologises after ‘pathetic’ race

“I didn't have a good feeling with the bike, it was a pretty pathetic race really for me” – Ben Spies.

mjgroves

April 30, 2012 10:36 AM

I've criticised BS since Qatar but seeing the same here shows me he's suffered a total loss of confidence in the bike. Hopefully he can pick it up for Estoril.

On the plus side from a Brit perspective, with Bradley guaranteed a ride with Tech 3 in 2013 and Spies struggling on the Factory Yamaha, what a time for Cal to find his feet!! If his form continues and Spies can't drag himself back I'd love to see Cal alongside JL.

RaceFan - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 10:36 AM

Ben is a fabulous racer and is blisteringly quick. I feel the trouble is the 'weight of expectation'.
Remember, Ben did the same in WSBK that Cal did in WSS, i.e. they left everyone for dead. Ben has not become a bad racer overnight. Perhaps he feels he really cannot cope with JLo's speed and consistency and that his time as a works Yamaha rider is coming under threat? That's true, it is.

The same is true of Rossi. Some Expected him to ring the Ducati's neck and blow everyone into the weeds. He is now getting his back side kicked by Nicky Hayden. Again the weight of expectation is manifesting itself in any number of 'problems' with the equipment, even if it is working for someone else.

sloppyfngz - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 10:38 AM

Ben s a fantastic racer. There is definitely something going on that we don t know about. I hope he ll be back soon. The 2012 Yamaha is defintely a winner and Ben is a world class act.

Zim

April 30, 2012 10:42 AM

I think it's to early to write Spies off, but at the same time Moto GP is extremely competitive and rumours of him getting replaced next season will gather momentum if he doesn't start to get some solid results!!!

RocketR1

April 30, 2012 10:43 AM

Needs a shake up in the garage..He didnt become bad over night,the other Yamaha's seem to be sorted out much better..At this level you cant have two races in a row being uncomfortable on the bike.Cal is riding like his job is on the Line..Ben better start doing the same before its too late.

moto - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 10:50 AM

Considering Spies was fast throughout winter testing, this is a bizarre situation to see him in. Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye, either in his private life or something political within Yamaha. If they had change something on the bike for the start of the season they would know what the problem was surely.

pinky - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 10:57 AM

"a good rider don't become bad overnight"

very true.... BUT, what's your definition of good. I would say at best speis is a mid pack rider. speis was never a good rider. now other riders have improved a bit, speis looks like a real ordinary rider.

Darkwaknight

April 30, 2012 10:59 AM

I have been shot down many time before for questioning the IDOL view of spies. An Amazing racer and rider and I said after Qatar too early to call yet but this weekend was even worse but alot can change before this becomes a JT second year (and we all know where that ended) what ever the reason ( I think it is the Tyres myself more than anything else) he needs to get his head right and push harder, maybe seeing Jorge's Data and admiring Stoner's skill too much as made him ask if he can?? I don't know but I hope he finds his Mojo soon as we need more action at the front!!

aeolus

April 30, 2012 11:03 AM

Ben has become severely risk shy, he is desperate not to get hurt. Look what he said at the end of QP: I survived unscathed! Hardly the words of a confident racer. He has always been a fair weather racer and for some reason he has not overcome this. Remember Pedro was queasy when it rained at first but fought through it. Ben has a head problem: there's nothing wrong with the bike. I give him a 50/50 chance of conquering this phobia.

hoppy

April 30, 2012 11:09 AM

Cant put my finger on this problem at all.Ben is a world class rider who hasnt suddenly forgotten how to ride.We know the Yamahas are running well so it is either a set up problem for Ben or he is somehow lacking in self confidence.Hopefuly we will see him improve as the season goes on because if things remain like this you have to fear for his factory ride.Especially when you look at how well Cal is going at Tech3.One or two good results will perk his spirits a bit i hope.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »