MotoGP » More race misery for 'blind' Ben Spies

"I couldn't see anything and decided to come in because I need to see where I am going" – Ben Spies.

BensPies - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 2:31 PM

Always been a fan of Ben as you can tell by my username but if you lose the passion you should retire. That's how I see it. Not parade around in front of the CRT bikes. He's in last place for crying out loud. I already purchased my tickets for Indy to see this guy race and am feeling like asking for a refund. Even on a not so suitable setup I think he should be running 5th or 6th. WTH!!!

Nerz - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 2:36 PM

First of all, I hope whatever contract he has with HJC expires soon. There is no way that any rider should be having the issues that Spies is having. That said, it's his fault for allowing such a bargain bin brand to get on his head in the first place.

Next, he would do best to stop calling this run bad luck. Doing so removes accountability from your own riding. There were dozens of other riders spread across the three classes who all had to ride in the same conditions, many of whom experienced their own issues. But that's racing. The moment Ben realizes he needs to up his game, instead of waiting for good fortune to hit the team, he'll rebound.

He just needs to be honest with himself and know that his efforts to this point are not up to par.

Voice offseason - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 2:43 PM

Spies is damaged goods.........

His nerve damage in his arm has ruined his career as it has mine. This is something that doesn't go away some days better than others, but any experienced rider can see the his body position on the bike and know what's wrong. Spies is a class act and wants to keep it on the down low, but people that know him know what's wrong. The crash at Qatar reaggrivated it and has not gotten better. Spies was on a pole position lap before he went down and now with the nerve issue it is playing with his confidence. He doesn't want to go down and hurt it even more. Not sure he can go around this. If he is not a top 2 guy at Indy you know he's done..

With that being said, cut the guy some slack.

Vilas - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 2:56 PM

Its hard to beliave but i tinck Ben is beeing honest, for sure is result was all about the helmet that change the way the race went.. but i bealive if he had made one better star insted of slidding to much like Randy he almost crash at the star..
If we wach all his times since fp1 until warmup laps he was allways better then that final spot.

He has not been with lucke him race situacion, because him qualify he had go preety normal.. I really bealive that him Catalunha will see Spies again on podium

LosPer - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 4:09 PM

I am personally so disappointed with how Ben has performed this year...I watched him thumb Mladin in AMA, and best the field at WSB without knowing hardly any of the tracks. He got a podium in his rookie year on a satellite bike, and a win at Assen on the factory bike...but that's it.

I sincerely hope Ben can get his race face back on and get on the podium regularly, and win a few races as we move into the second part of the season. I fear that if we see more of the same, my boy is going to be back on a satellite team, or, worse, back on a CRT.

KICK IT UP BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1M - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 4:43 PM

I agree with those who think that the main problem, regardless of any individual glitches, may be motivation and that's down to Spies - not Jarvis's job to hold his hand. I think he made a telling remark about Stoner's decision to retire which hinted at a shared mindset. After such a poor start to the season, every race ups the pressure on him to finish ahead of the Tech 3 bikes at the very least. Even if there was a problem with his visor, it's shows a lack of preparation on his part. Given the weather all weekend, it's something he should've checked and double-checked and could've noticed on the warm up lap when there was still a chance to fix it. As for "getting off to a decent start"? What, in the split second before he over-cooked it and went sideways?

gg_hh - Unregistered

May 21, 2012 5:06 PM

I get it, bad luck happens and maybe that's all this is. But Yamaha must be feeling a bit frustrated at the moment. They can bring in ANY rider to give them these results. At some point--regardless of the reasons--you're just not doing your job. Simple as that.

inconvenience

May 21, 2012 5:45 PM

Colin Edwards - double WSBK champion - MotoGP reject

Ben Spies - rookie WSBK champion - MotoGP reject?

It's looking that way. Spies sucks in the wet so his result is not surprising, look at Jerez and Silverstone last year.

Spies is overhyped, and overrated, much like Rossi. But then because of the huge amount of hype and hysteria surrounding these two riders, people don't want to see them as 'just not good enough'.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »