MotoGP » Rossi, Stoner joke about Jerez 2011

“I behaved a little bit like a young rider and unfortunately I also took Casey down” – Valentino Rossi.

amakusa

May 23, 2012 2:16 AM

I just read Schwantz's take on Stoner's retirement from superbikeplanet website.

He seems to understand Stoner's point in leaving the sport. Schwantz himself did so with similar reasons, midway through his season(so he cant exactly tell Stoner to 'man up'). But what ires him is Stoner's criticism of the GP series. Well, back in Schwantz's days there were no CRT going dangerously slow. Anyone who has shared a track with past gp/wsbk riders will have seen middle fingers and getting slaps on the butt (while cornering) if u were in their way.

In my opinion, Stoner couldve been a little more subtle in his criticism. Although it must be said he didnt give a planned speech as it was live interview plus emotion got the better of him.

bundanet - Unregistered

May 23, 2012 2:55 AM

guys,

regarding Rossi and Stoner, as 'someone' said before, you cannot compare Ferrari with Porsche because it's different engine.

the truth is..the pair push each other to keep improving.

OzPom

May 23, 2012 3:25 AM

When I was in my teens Sheene and Roberts use to fire everybody up and I hated Roberts.
Now i'm in my fifties I look back and laugh at my "passion".
The same will happen to Casey and Rossi fans, just enjoy all that happens and remember it doesnt last forever.
But try and control some of that hatred, they are two great riders.

TedG

May 23, 2012 5:02 AM

@OsPom,
I used to race at the same tracks that Roberts did in his amateur flat track days (he was an expert(A) when I was a junior(B)) so we knew each other in passing. I was a huge fan of his when he went through the pro ranks and the AMA GNC and on to road racing. But I never ever hated his rivals. I always wanted them to give him a battle. I thought it was funny when him and Sheene went at it. Even today as a Rossi fan I want his rivals to do battle. I like it much better when Rossi comes from behind and wins those battles. I have ALWAYS thought a runaway from the get go was boring, big time.

lose my finger tip

May 23, 2012 5:18 AM

the good news is MotoGP after rossi have a chance to show good battle, makes everybody realise ... no Rossi-No GP ... even Jlo take 1st podium ... looks to me it was rossi take the glory .... i think Jlo forget to make celebration at this time, because his finger tip was hurts at that moment

OzPom

May 23, 2012 5:59 AM

@TedG
Roberts was one of the best, I remember marshalling at Silverstone and his bike shot past us and then we realised he wasnt on it.
Some great battles with him and Sheene, lucky we have DVD's to look back.

TedG

May 23, 2012 6:46 AM

@OsPom,
You should have seen him on that Yamaha 40 incher, coming out of turn 4 at the San Jose mile, take the lead and pitch it sideways into turn one. Poetry in motion. Especially standing in the infield at turn one.

OzPom

May 23, 2012 7:03 AM

@TedG
Sounds like you have a great attitude on life Ted, and hopefully the point to remember is all the hatred for riders is really not needed.
Sheene is also one of the greats, International races in England he use to be pretty unbeatable for a time.

LA-Xstream - Unregistered

May 23, 2012 7:17 AM

VR what a great example of courage and determination your are...the never quit attitude youre competitors ought to admire. Its OH SO EASY to walk away from a sport with a few million in the bank and then sh*t on the sport which gave you all. It'd be easy to go back to honda but rossi doesnt do easy. Retirement is 'easy'. Problem with stoney is he'll always be in rossi's shadow no matter what. What a pity.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »