MotoGP » Schumacher: Stoner young enough for sabbatical

“He's young enough to have a sabbatical rather than a total stop and we'll see” – Michael Schumacher.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

BMan - Unregistered

May 24, 2012 9:50 AM

Most sucsessful rider since 2006, that I didn't know, that would mean he is the most sucsessful rider since he joined the series. I can see why he would retire, enough money, Great country to return home too.

Options - Unregistered

May 24, 2012 9:54 AM

Although I would like to see Stoner race for a few more seasons as he is the only non European that can win MotoGP races at the moment, I respect his decision, as its not my life that is on line each weekend.

As for the future, anything is possible.

Googolplex

May 24, 2012 10:02 AM

Options, I agree with you. Risking your life doing 300kph + on a MotoGP bike amidst a pack of other riders all doing the same only centimeters away, if you haven't got children, is surely pure exhileration. Risking you life in that way when you've got kids to be a dad to, is almost selfish.

Sparky62 - Unregistered

May 24, 2012 10:33 AM

So, Australai is not a great place to retire to? That is why 3 of the top ten "Most Livable Cities" are in Australia with my home town being No 1.

Casey will return to bikes but never to MotoGP. WSBK will be the premier series after 2015.

Mb - Unregistered

May 24, 2012 10:58 AM

Why do I so often read suggestion here on crash and other sites about Casey entering the WSBK in the future? He's the one to beat in the Motogp right now, but I doupt he'd be as succesfull in WSBK.

The riding in WSBK is imho not his kind of style, to much close combat and contact. A winner in motogp does not make you automatically a winner in WSBK, and vice versa.

I think his retirement is a loss for motogp and I think he's going to leave with a brand new world tittle, fully deserved cause he's the fastest by far right now.

Sparky62 - Unregistered

May 24, 2012 11:13 AM

This rubbish about Stoner not handling close racing has been proven wrong over and over again. His battle with Rossi at Philip Island in 2009 for instance. Just becasue, like any sane racer, he likes to get ahead and obtain a commanding lead does not mean he is uncomfortable racing in close quarters. If geriatric also rans in MotoGP can go over to WSBK and win then why in God's name would Casey have any problems? The last two champions in WSBK never won a MotoGP championship! By 2015 MotoGP will be devoid of full Prototypes.

1 2 3 4 5 6  »