MotoGP » Casey Stoner: I love Catalunya

“Ever since that moment I fell in love with the track...” – Casey Stoner.

Aussie - Unregistered

May 30, 2012 1:17 AM

@Southerner
Have to agree with you there mate Catalunya 2007 was one of the best races I have seen in 51 yrs of following GP, I am a stoner fan but my all time hero is Hailwood and that ride was the closest I have seen anybody coming close to Hailwood

@BoZz I know how you feel mate but don't forget he will be back here in Aus enjoying himself on the farm and we will still have the great Videos and the great memories of one of our country men who done us and our country proud on the world stage,but as true GP fans we will still watch the greatest show on earth.

Realist

May 30, 2012 3:12 AM

@ Slick

Fair point about the slides. I often don't understand the hype about slides because most riders are capable of backing the bike in - from AMA to GP - and you can see it in nearly any/every race. To date, Danny Eslick has performed one of the most beautiful slide passes in a race. To me, that tops anything that Stoner has ever done.

@ 0:23 on this video

h t t p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaRYqKS-mI

dacron

May 30, 2012 3:48 AM

sorry "slick" but he uses the least traction control.
sliding the bike is not the fastest way around most corners , there is only a few corners on the calender that allow you to get around the corner faster while sliding due to the high speed you can take into the turn.
@realist.
you say you don't understand the hype with slides!
then go on to say how beautiful dan eslicks slide was!
errr!

Slick - Unregistered

May 30, 2012 4:26 AM

sorry dacron, he's got the most traction control. the reason his tyres slides and track the corners while on full throttle is because of traction control. stoner doesnt have to be precise. all he has to do is yank on the throttle and let the electronics do the work. hence, he hates battles because in battles the manuevering have to be totally precise within an inch of other bikes. that's why stoner loves the "protypeness" of the sport rather than the racing battles.

Realist

May 30, 2012 4:35 AM

@ dacron

Read my post again. I was addressing two separate things. The first part of my post is basically me saying that sliding ability - as a means of justifying why Stoner is so great - is overrated. The second part of my post was designed to illustrate that Stoner isn't the only person who can slide a bike, and that lower grade talent can, and often does, do it better. My intention isn't really to dig at Stoner. I've just grown tired of hearing about him sliding a bike as if nobody else is capable of doing it.

Sparky62 - Unregistered

May 30, 2012 5:04 AM

Here we go again with blatant untruths sprouted forward as facts. It is well known that Stoner minimises the traction control on the bike. If you bother to read the motorcyle press, that fact was talked about at a Qatar press conference last month when Casey was asked about sliding. Like many Australian and American riders, he slides the rear wheel to allow him to keep the revs up and improve accleration. It is a skill not as prevalent in the european riders who tend to tuck in behind the screen and concentrate on the apex of each corner. Ben Spies was famous for his sliding in the AMA. Gary McCoy wasn't called Mr Squiggle for nothing. Nicky Hayden was a fairly good slider in the AMA and his early days on the Honda. It is just a different technique for riding a bike that proves faster for some and not suited to others. It was far more prevalent when the Aussie and Americans were riding the 500cc strokers without traction control. To do it on todays bikes you have to turn down the tract

asefi

May 30, 2012 5:53 AM

@ Realist

I saw that slide in person standing behind Rainey and Roberts.

I don't know if they appreciated my hooting as it was pretty amazing.

But I don't know about it being more amazing than anything Stoner has done.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »