MotoGP » Spies, Edwards take sideswipe at Rookie Rule change

'Heard the rookie rule is being changed back again... Sometimes I guess we need a diff passport?' - Ben Spies to Colin Edwards on Twitter

aeolus

June 20, 2012 7:49 PM

Nationalist favoritism has ALWAYS been front and center in European competition. Watching Olympic completion over the years has make this a regular event. Robbie Gordon and a moto rider I can't remember who, have had to battle the French for a square deal in the Dekar. And lost.

HRC

June 20, 2012 8:00 PM

Well this stinks, and it's only because Stoner is off.

As good as Marquez has been/looked so far, I'm finding myself looking forward to him being schooled by Dani just as a certain Andrea Dovisioso (who was also thought of as the next big thing) was when he got the full factory bike.
Honda just may end up with egg on the face, and I have to say they would deserve it.

JK - Unregistered

June 20, 2012 8:06 PM

Spies needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

This is not the first time he's opened his mouth and been very vocal about things.

He seems like a very angry man this season, and thats just because things are not going his way.

Edwards comment about passports is so ironic too. The only reason he managed to stay with Yamaha for so long was because of his passport, which is ridiculously hypocritical.

Listen to the hard done too Americans! LOL!

These guys need to take a leaf out of Haydens book.

separated

June 20, 2012 8:12 PM

Ben joined MotoGP full time in 2010, when Rossi and Lorenzo occupied the factory Yamaha rides... while Casey Stoner is retiring at the end of 2012, this leaves a ride spare at Repsol Honda...

Spies has really gone down in my book, comments like that don't help.

jae - Unregistered

June 20, 2012 8:12 PM

Now I'm really not a Marquez fan, I think he's a jumped up spoilt little pray.

However, he has a big talent and is hugely fast. BUT, if he wants handouts from the powers that be then he obviously has little regard for his peers or the sport in itself.

If he wants to race like it's on a PlayStation set on easy then please someone turn it off.

Here's to him being a mobile chicane.

milli

June 20, 2012 8:13 PM

Dorna need to stop changing the rules or MotoGP is just going to turn into a complete joke. However, I bet we won't see Spies complaining when his passport (ie. the American market) is what keeps him on a decent ride in 2013.

I will say this - not really Marquez's fault he's Spanish, and you can't really blame him for Honda's feverish efforts to secure him a spot on their team next year. It does also make economic sense for the rule to be dropped, and it opens up more opportunities for other rising stars like Luthi/Iannone/Redding/ESPARGARO (seriously why aren't people mentioning him - reckon he'd be great in MotoGP), it's just a shame it has to be changed like this. Dorna are a joke, can't we revolt and knock them from power?!

p.s. agree with the comment above - Marquez is talented but he needs to calm it before he comes to MotoGP.

RocketR1

June 20, 2012 8:18 PM

The rule had already been bent for suzuki anyways..the other honda teams didn't want MM anyways so no big deal..I'm more interested on if they will resign Dani now or another non-spanish rider.

Brian Clark - Unregistered

June 20, 2012 8:19 PM

A few years back when Marquez first rode in 125s I seem to remember that he was on a Repsol Honda (I think his older team mate was Bradley Smith.)
I do get a bit tired of hearing the Spanish national anthem after each race. 3 times at Silverstone.
The amount of money thrown about in Spain to promote their riders might be part of the reason that Spain is virtually bankrupt.
Dont get me wrong, Marquez is a good rider but I cannot take to him, don't know why???

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »