MotoGP » Spies, Edwards take sideswipe at Rookie Rule change

'Heard the rookie rule is being changed back again... Sometimes I guess we need a diff passport?' - Ben Spies to Colin Edwards on Twitter

King Kenny - Unregistered

June 21, 2012 1:47 PM

Here's something I'm sure many of you don't know: Dorna gave 5 million dollars to get Stoner his first MotoGP ride (LCR). They also helped him economically earlier in his career, although I don't know the amount. Was it not for Dorna's money, Stoner maybe wouldn't have made it to MotoGP, as he was constantly outshined by other riders in the 250cc class. Casey didn't need an Spanish passport or sponsor to get helped along the way, just talent and promise. And it was a wise investment, because Casey went on to become a two-times World Champion.

You people keep blaming Dorna for everything, but most of the things you're complaining about were enforced by the factories. Dorna only has so much power, because if the factories don't like something, particularly Honda, they threaten to leave the Championship, and there are no alternatives to that. The move to CRT was plotted as an alternative in case the factories decided to leave, and based in the success of Moto2. The result isn't all that

King Kenny - Unregistered

June 21, 2012 1:53 PM

...the result isn't all that great, but it's only their first season (actually, their 6th race). The first season of Moto2 was quite uneven too. Time will tell.

I personally don't like CRT, I'd prefer a prototype-only championship, but the fact remains a lot of teams can't afford to lease a satellite bike. And the factories don't want to hear anything about capping the budget or limit development, threatening to leave if Dorna tries to enforce those changes.

If you want to blame someone, at least blame those responsible.

Brian Clark - Unregistered

June 21, 2012 2:35 PM

I think that one of the major problems facing MotoGP is the status of the CRT class. A stupid regulation that says that if any bike gets very near to or beating the slower satellite kit, then someone can claim (buy) the engine for little money, compared to the cost of getting it to that standard. This is another American idea from way back, particularly at Daytona, where BSA, not fully understanding the rule, "lost" a bike. So all the bad ideas are not Honda, Repsol or Dorna but American as well.
As for the demise of 2 strokes, was this not for environmental (emmision) reasons!?!?

Tetley

June 21, 2012 2:37 PM

“the ones that dont notice me get the finger and their doors blow off Posted by pcxmac”
“NOW, THERE I AGREE WITH YOU! They do still get the finger.. And the occasional side mirror removed... Posted by Nick636”
You have both seriously dissappointed me. I sincerely hope neither of you are saying this is the best way for motorcyclists to develop and receive more consideration from other road users. Aggression needs to be taken OUT of the street riding scenario for us to be regarded more favourably by other drivers. Confrontational behaviour just makes others anti-biker and the rest of us get the backlash from your actions.

Nick636

June 21, 2012 2:38 PM

King Kenny

Not much new in that post. And yes, he was outshone in 250, but in 250 he was on second rate material that was WAY down on pace... That can't be argued. And besides, that doesn't change the fact the man is a god on a MotoGP bike... As Pedrosa and Dovi and Aoyama (And even Max) have shown, a 250 title doesn't mean too much in MotoGP..

As for the CRT's, I agree. It is ONLY their first season and I still think with a few more top riders on the bikes they would look better. BUT for them to get close to the Prototypes is gonna cost a LOT of money. Development is expensive. So I do think they have their place, but as MotoGP as always been the test bed for new Tech, I do not think it fair to banish the factories as that will bring a halt to the advancements we see on the road...

Nick636

June 21, 2012 2:43 PM

Tetley

That is not what I am saying, but again, I will not pretend I haven't acted out in anger. But when I see some smug ***** look up, see me coming and cut me off anyway (WHILE IM NOT EVEN SPEEDING BY THE WAY) and not use an indicator, and have the nerve to flip me off when I hoot at him and get aggressive with me, I do feel he deserved it.

I am also the first person to thank someone for giving me a courteous gap, even give people gaps if they have their indicator on. Courtesy goes both ways. Drivers must think Bike as much as Bikers must think... everyone else...

Nick636

June 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Also, I KNOW my actions won't help in any way, but you get this little self righteous flame inside that, at the time makes you think your actions will make them think twice, because at the end of the day, other road users couldn't give two hoots about guys on bikes. It is a lot easier to sit back and tell their kids that "Those things are coffins on wheels..." instead of, "Because daddy was a complete plonker, that guy's bike almost became his coffin..."

But it is our own responsibility to make sure we are aware of EVERYTHING happening around us... Not expect anything from anyone else. The only way I feel more people will become courteous towards bikers is by getting bikes themselves... It gave me a WHOLE new perspective.

Stevegp

June 21, 2012 2:50 PM

I think Dorma should think there rules thru before they make knee jerk reactions to the current events as they have over the not only seasons but this season ie weight,tires,etc they have to agree on a set of rules that every one can rely on not to change for a reasonable amount of time to make the racing competitive and cost effective they change the rules to save cost but are in fact making it more expensive by moving the bar constantly ,you are suppose to be professionals act like it and get it sorted out before you wreck motogp and lose more riders of Caseys calibre. Dorma get it right

ZeR0 Kun

June 21, 2012 3:04 PM

I agree with King Kenny in the sense that factories also should shoulder the blame for ruining MotoGP as well, not just Dorna.

Remember in the early 90s where there are specialist chassis constructors compete against the factories using the same engine as them? Apparently Dorna wants to go to that path again, mimicking F1 in many ways. Remember Moriwaki MD211V and KR211/212V? This is the way to go but apparently factories does not like the prospect of being beaten by small constructors using the same engine as their factory team. They can take accept such prospect in the smaller class (Moto3), but not in MotoGP where prestige is everything. How do Honda feel if say, FTR or Suter, can build a sweeter, more precise chassis for their RC213V engine compared to their own chassis?

CRT, someway or another, is created to pressure them so that they will follow that path albeit reluctantly. MotoGP should remain all-prototype racing, but I want the factories to be considerate enough to open up

ZeR0 Kun

June 21, 2012 3:05 PM

cont...

... but I want the factories to be considerate enough to open up and follow F1 way of thinking.

Having said that, I am not surprised at all that the main beneficiary of this Rookie Rule change will be Honda.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »