MotoGP » Ben Spies: I’d almost be a pissed off with victory...

“Right now all I can do is worry about me - my bike and my results. Whatever happens, happens" - Ben Spies.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

JDW - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 1:58 PM

Putting things in perspective of 'the last 10 years', Ben's career has been meteoric!....the only significant negative has been the first races of this year. I personally think his achilles heel is Meregalli and Houseworth, they were also responsible for the few races that went wrong in WSBK (broken levers, gas run out etc.) Yamaha knows this, and they know Ben is capable of running with the aliens once he gets his mojo back!..Look for Ben on the Yamaha in 2013 AND geting some race wins!..I still see a MotoGP champion one day, but these next few races will be pivotal for Ben!..best of luck to you mate!...and yes, I am a Brit supporting a Yank!...

Blade - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 2:32 PM

@ King Kenny
Explain your logic to me really! What has Cal done or Dovi. Cal won a WSS championship, but couldn't get it done in WSBK. Also, last year people were questioning him about his ride in the paddock. Now all of a sudden he's the ****, when Ben finished on the podium 3 times his rookie year and has won a race and almost another one except Stoner nipped him at the line.

Dovi has a race win, but has been on a factory bike for a long, long time and hasn't really been great or labeled as one of the aliens, yet you say Ben can't hack it, please. They deserve his ride. Ben has won AMA championships, and a WSBK Championship having never ridden those tracks before beating Max, Haga, Corser, Checa, etc. All who are accomplished riders, not to mention Mladin. He can ride, he's just having a bad stint at the moment. Dude you should really think before you spat off.

TalentFan - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 3:27 PM

It seemed like a down-to-earth, straightforward and sensible response from Ben Spies to me. I think he has the right attitude as well, he concentrates on doing his job the best he can, and that's all he can do.
I think part of the problem is Ben's 'meteoric' success until his arrival at MotoGP. His emphatic 1st attempt WSBK title meant that expectations for BS from the off were perhaps unfairly high, as he'd set the bar high himself. As others say, he done ok until this season's first half. As long as the movers and shakers haven't already set things in stone behind the scenes, then BS still has time to get some results and defend his position.

thomps000

June 28, 2012 3:33 PM

This is my best guess:

Crutchlow-Factory Yamaha (It's really 50/50 about either Crutchlow or Dovi)
Dovi-Tech 3
Rossi-Satellite Yamaha (with full factory support)
Bradley Smith-Tech 3 and will fail miserably.

Spies-Well he's not deserving of many rides after this year. But he'll pickup something, but won't see a podium anytime soon.

DC - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 6:50 PM

LOL.. typically clueless.

You Brits chanting "Crutchlow to Factory Yamaha" over and over doesn't make it real. The season is far from over. In fact, the season is only 1/3 finished. Unless Spies' horrible luck continues, his seat is very much still his going forward.

I predict Spies will win Indy this year. He has a solid shot at winning this weekend in Assen as well. Neither Dovi nor Cal will even lead a race this year.

DC - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 6:52 PM

Don't misunderstand though, I like Cal A LOT. I think he's a great racer, and showed amazing heart in Silverstone with the ankle. BUT, he's no Ben Spies.

Cal has 1 championship in his career on a major stage. He never won BSB, and had 3 only WSBK race wins in 2 years.

Spies had that many WSBK wins after the 2nd round was over in his rookie season on tracks he'd NEVER SEEN BEFORE. Spies also won 3 straight AMA Superbike championships, then the WSBK championship in 2009 with 14 wins, and 11 pole positions.

Comparing records, how can you even suggest with a straight face that Cal is a better racer?

mikeebee

June 28, 2012 8:17 PM

Well stated DC. Numbers don't lie.

Cal is an excellent rider and his stock is on the rise. But in racing the decisions are often based on "What have you done for me lately".

If Ben picks up podiums in the next few rounds he should be safe, for now.

TalentFan - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 9:31 PM

@ DC "You Brits chanting "Crutchlow to Factory Yamaha" over and over doesn't make it real."
Well, I'm a Brit & I'd be amazed if CC got that seat. mikebee makes the valid point though that in racing you're only as good as your recent performances - BS was so on fire in WSBK that his results in MotoGP (while not bad at all) haven't been as competitive as his previous campaigns, and this year has been awful so far. I'd bet that Dovi has a performance clause in his contract (which CC wouldn't have for sure) to elevate him to the front of the queue. Politics could (though I'm sceptical) get VR in. DP would be on anyone's list if Repsol did let him go and could leapfrog CC. And of course BS could always hold on to it (his passport and a decent run of results ought to give him a strong shot at retaining the ride). Whether I like it or not, logic dictates that Cal is maybe 3rd or 4th in line for a factory Yam seat.

DC - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 11:19 PM

@talentfan
What I think happened quite honestly, is Ben decimated WSBK set unrealistic expectations, and upon moving to MotoGP, the competition at this level is just ridiculously close. We have to remember these guys on the prototypes are the absolute best riders on 2 wheels and the smallest wobble or hesitation puts you back 2, 3, 4, or more places down the list.

Dovi was on a factory Honda during the period where it was the best bike on the grid. Last year was just ridiculous. Yet he really didn't do much with it. I just don't see anyone getting all excited about Dovi moving to a factory team (ALL the Yamaha and Honda machines are factory spec currently) when he hasn't done much with what he has right now.

I completely agree that Ben on the factory team is good for Yamaha America, and that it WILL help make the decision for his future, especially if he strings a few good results together from now through Mugello.

My prediction (admittedly biased because I'm an American):
Ben stays

DC - Unregistered

June 28, 2012 11:21 PM

Ack.. got cut off.

My prediction:
Ben stays at Factory Yamaha
Dovi stays at Tech 3
Cal moves to Factory Ducati

And in a completely surprise move:
Rossi moves to Factory/Jordan Motorsports/Kevin Schwantz Suzuki team. :)

Either that.. or Rossi moves to a factory-spec Honda on his own team somehow.

« 1 2 3 4