MotoGP » MotoGP riders respond to Marquez deal

"Marquez is very strong, very fast and sometimes he wins difficult races when he is not the fastest on track. This is so important" - Valentino Rossi.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Motojunky..

July 13, 2012 8:55 AM

What else are the riders going to say now it's a done deal.
My opinion?
What a joke.
My analogy. Accident waiting to happen. Although having said that, I hope I'm wrong.
Dovi must be so pi$$ed, along with others.

Pasconet - Unregistered

July 13, 2012 9:04 AM

Pedrosa was the next best thing for a long time - he proved good, but not that good. Time will tell, but if he takes the same attitude in Motogp he currently has, he's gonna be found hanging up by the back of his leathers on a coat peg in the changing rooms come race start... possibly with a nose bleed.

Taz

July 13, 2012 9:12 AM

Welcome to the 2013 Spanish GP championship....where a Spaniard will win at all costs, not xenophobia it's just a fact. Dorna are shameless, not Marquez's fault although the tech advantage his bike has in Moto2 is noticeable and others round him fight harder and are more exciting to watch.

What else can the riders say, it's like speaking out in F1, you know Benrie will be on the phone the minute you say something he doesn't like, the creepy bald bloke with the glasses is his MotoGP equivalent.

Beginning to understand why Stoner is walking away.

Cammyspop

July 13, 2012 9:32 AM

I think people are overestimating Marquez's potential. Sure he's fast, but his bully boy tactics won't work as well when he's up against the more experienced riders in MotoGP. I also suspect he's going to have trouble chucking the bike about the way he does in Moto2. MotoGP bikes have almost twice the power as Moto2, but he'll only be dealing with an extra 20kg. The power to weight ratio is immense compared with what he's used to.

For those two reasons he's going to have to learn to settle down and ride more subtly. Sure he's got potential, but until we've seen him on a MotoGP bike we can't say how much.

I certainly don't see him putting in a rookie year as good as Pedrosa's.

Lawson - Unregistered

July 13, 2012 9:48 AM

I like Marquez i think he will do well . He has a better record than Pedrosa/Rossi/Lorenzo/Stoner in the lower classes and he's only 18 years old.

Bradl is having a solid year so i cant see why marquez cant do the same or slightly better next year. I am suprised at all you lot not liking him , i honestly think he is the next big thing.

Nick636

July 13, 2012 9:53 AM

@ Lawson.

A few points:

- He's 19.
- I don't know about everyone else, but I have levelled some harsh judgement at this decision, but I also like him! I just don't want him hurting someone!
- And yes, without the shadow of a doubt, the next big thing.
- Bradl always had a bit of a more reserved approach, a bit more methodical, NOT as quick, but a completely different kind of rider. I HOPE he gets a similar deal to Simoncelli next year, so we can see what him and Marquez can do head to head...

Sweeble

July 13, 2012 9:54 AM

"he wins difficult races when he is not the fastest on track" - yes, but he is one of the lightest which means that he can almost always out accelerate heavier riders.

Having said that, I do think he is the great talent in Moto2 and deserves this ride. It will be interesting to see what the primary school bully gets when he comes up against the high school tough guys!

Cammyspop

July 13, 2012 9:55 AM

@Taz there are a number of things wrong with your rant.

Sure Dorna abolished the rookie rule, but it has only been around for three seasons. It's not like it's some long standing tradition they've dropped to favour Marquez and Honda. It was a pretty stupid idea in the first place. It certainly didn't achieve it's stated aims. The idea that barring factory teams from signing rookies would give satellite teams a better chance makes no sense. Nobody wins in their rookie year, I certainly don't recall the last time it happened. So if a factory team signs a rookie that's one more experienced rider for the satellites.

Secondly I recall the days when the 500s were effectively an American championship, nobody blamed the organizers then.

Oh and it's not Dorna that makes the rules, it's the GPC and the last time I checked that included one representative each from Dorna, the FIM, MSMA and IRTA. So even the idea that Repsol have undue control is bogus since Repsol don't even sit on the GPC.

1 2 3  »